Reef Discussion

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
OH ha ha! You're all hilarious!! :rofl

Rob a few weeks ago Dave got in a tiny little fish that is from a family of fish I adore! And I decided not to get him as I was buying my upgrades at that point in time so I said if he ever got another when the funds were right I'd snap it up :)

Now along with most of my fishlist that came in on Thursday night, along with the gold rhomboid I have half paid off in the acro tank he got another one in! A teeny tiny little plectranthias longimanus, this little guy:
apds.exblog.jp_pds_1_201009_05_61_c0192461_0542517.jpg

Who I not only think is adorable as he's the size of a Jelly Belly jelly bean but I don't think I would be copping NEARLY as much grief if the price tag wasn't what it was.... lol $350 :dead and because even though that's what it is and it's tiny and I'd probably rarely see it lol I still want to get the little guy!

So because of this, everyone has made fun of me aallllllll bloody weekend :cry:banghead:rage

bastards.... :rofl

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Geometrics are my favourites :( lol but I'll happily get this little guy because I'm completely insane haha

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@ReeferRob P. inermis is the more common cousin and, as you have correctly identified, is relatively cheap.

I don't want to be seen to be justifying Dom's, somewhat deranged, decision to purchase this fish but, to be fair, P. longimanus is a much rarer catch and, as such, could be worthy of a higher price.

I would hate to think what the price per kilogram would be :eek

So because of this, everyone has made fun of me aallllllll bloody weekend :cry:banghead:rage
And, I can't see it stopping anytime soon :D

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Just checked my 2 other suppliers, Australia and Kenya, yep, P. longimanus is a tad more expensive, $63 landed here in the USA, so that equates into $180USD ea retail. I never really paid attention to them before, I try to get the others all the time and never get them. And as for the per kilo price, about $350,000/ kilo!! :stop:dead

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Did we end up with a Frag thread ? I still have 3 brownish sticks and the duo red/green monti frag. Although the red has overgrown the green

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Did we end up with a Frag thread ? I still have 3 brownish sticks and the duo red/green monti frag. Although the red has overgrown the green
My booger size frags are still booger size. Yes mine are brownish , I killed my red cap as it fell onto one of the boogers, but it came back , thankfully!! My blue tenius is blueish.
All alive and all highly challenging!!!
Would be keen to show off my browns if you start the thread.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I would be too embarrassed to start a thread.... showing off -well not too much

I did get some good memories of the day though :)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I would be too embarrassed to start a thread.... showing off -well not too much

I did get some good memories of the day though :)
Lol, fish and chips in the car park was the first thing that came to mind when I read your post. And then the ice breaker at Sams came next... happy days!

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
I had the red grow over the green as well, lost a couple but I have the Monti and another stick that has recently started colouring up.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
With the talent of the group its interesting that none really took off. Oh btw im not refering to me in terms of talent as any frag i have goes brown.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
With the talent of the group its interesting that none really took off. Oh btw im not refering to me in terms of talent as any frag i have goes brown.
Mine didn't make it - the plane trip didn't help, nor did my relatively new tank.

@Rob ,don't forget that these were all fresh cut frags with no opportunity to start to heal before being transferred into a wide range of tank conditions. Unfortunately, I think there was a fairly high probability that not many would survive.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Mine didn't make it - the plane trip didn't help, nor did my relatively new tank.

@Rob ,don't forget that these were all fresh cut frags with no opportunity to start to heal before being transferred into a wide range of tank conditions. Unfortunately, I think there was a fairly high probability that not many would survive.
I get Montiporas from Bali all the time, I think the shit could survive a dip in the crapper/dunny/shitter. Although, I do have one customer that kills it regularly. I think he takes it out and looks at it under a microscope and forgets to put it back.