Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Natural Sunlight
I was a bit nervous when I decided to position the tank between two windows, but so far I am loving the natural sun look the tank gets through parts of the day. Hopefully I can keep the tank clean enough not to have any algae issues as a result, but so far so good.

IMG_0496.jpg
IMG_0497.jpg
IMG_0499.jpg
IMG_0500.jpg

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Love the look!:worship

There have been a few tanks using sunlight- you probably have seen them - one of the nicest was one that was set up outside in a courtyard-I'll see if i can find it,

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I think the myth of Sunlight causes algae was from days gone where we never really understood Phos, Nitrate levels, etc.

I to get the afternoon sun streaming onto the face of the tank and it does add a "natural" look to every we can't replicate.

As long as you have good husbandry skills, appropriate stockist, etc can't see why this would be an issue these days. Also, who does it better than Mother Nature?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I think the myth of Sunlight causes algae was from days gone where we never really understood Phos, Nitrate levels, etc.

I to get the afternoon sun streaming onto the face of the tank and it does add a "natural" look to every we can't replicate.

As long as you have good husbandry skills, appropriate stockist, etc can't see why this would be an issue these days. Also, who does it better than Mother Nature?
You're probably right. I am not too concerned and see it is a very beneficial thing, plus love the look!

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
My Cade is next to a window and gets the morning sun on one end, the fish and corals love it and it looks great.
Especially the nem, it really extends in the sunshine.
No algae problems whatsoever.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
It is a complete myth ;) When you think about it our lights over the tank are all aimed, designed, programmed, built, constructed, tested, tweaked and chosen due to how close they can mirror the effect of the sun lol so a bit of sunlight will do you a world of good :D If you're good with nutrients and maintenance then you won't be having any algae issues due to some sunlight :) Looks awesome though Chim :)

Boxermom

Nov 10, 2014
Looks great!! It would be nice if we could do the same at our house, but the way our windows are positioned, we can really make that work.....but we do have the advantage of our house being much cooler in the summertime due to the way they are situated. Oh well, can't have it all, I guess. :)