News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Navigation Bar Suggestions
Hello everyone,

It seems a lot of you are not happy with the navigation bar. The problem we are having, is as the site grows, we need to add links for users to get to certain sections. It is not possible to have all features as main links in the navigation bar. It gets messy, and is not mobile friendly.

Currently, everything can be found in the "Get Started" menu. A lot of users have complained about this and we would like to get this sorted out. If anyone has any suggestions on another name we can name it, please post them here and we will consider it. It needs to be an obvious name that tells the user that all sections of the site can be found in the drop down menu.

As far as the tank journals and classifieds go, they will remain in the sidebar. Updates will still show up in the activity feed as they did before. The only difference is that now instead of the main forum showing a single update, it shows 5 times more per category. The sidebar is giving users 5 times more information than it did having it in its own forum. To add to that, clicking the title on the sidebar will also take users to the main tank journal and classifieds page.

If anyone would like to help us out with the navigation please do so. We realise it is not the best name, and would like to hear suggestions on what we could call it.

Thanks.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
The way the get started/ quick links bar is, it's fine.

I just want the option of being able to go to the main forum page and finding my way from there. At the moment I go to the main page and only have the options of, "the lagoon" "the reef" and "the clients". I think all options need to be there smack bang in your face, classifieds and tank journals. Like I said in the other thread I dont find myself randomly browsing tank journals like I used as they are hidden away and just forget about them since I generally just have a quick flick through the main forum while bored at work. I also believe someone new to the forum just wouldn't pick it up straight away as no other forum is set out like this.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
The way the get started/ quick links bar is, it's fine.

I just want the option of being able to go to the main forum page and finding my way from there. At the moment I go to the main page and only have the options of, "the lagoon" "the reef" and "the clients". I think all options need to be there smack bang in your face, classifieds and tank journals. Like I said in the other thread I dont find myself randomly browsing tank journals like I used as they are hidden away and just forget about them since I generally just have a quick flick through the main forum while bored at work. I also believe someone new to the forum just wouldn't pick it up straight away as no other forum is set out like this.
Hi Joshwaaaa,

Everything is still on the forum main page, and there is more of it. On the sidebar there are the latest 5 tank journal updates (as opposed to 1 single update as it was before). You can access the updates from the sidebar, or alternatively you can click "Tank Journals" and it will take you the the current landing page. The same goes with the Classifieds, as opposed to a single update, it now shows 5. To do the same thing without the sidebar, it would add another 10 forums to the main page which is something we don't want to do.

Thanks.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
"site map"? I know when I can't find a link on a website I'll hunt for a site map which shows me all the possible avenues to get to the area I want to go to.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Two things that would be great, kind of related to navigation ...
1) For the classifieds, add 'for sale' or 'requested' to the descriptions. When they show up in the latest posts, it just shows 'Livestock' and you have no idea whether it is a request or sale.
2) Show the number of new classifieds since last visit - I really like this feature on 'other' forums. Could do the same perhaps with TJ updates, or new TJs started?

Nto sure how these are, but I think would help draw attention to those sections.