Reef Discussion

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Need A Bit Of Help Plumbing Return
So for a while now I've just had the one pump running my return line - it's a bit slow was rated at 1100 LPH with max head height of 1.4m it's running abotu about 90cm now so not sure where that puts it.

So i bought another pump plumbed it all up now its at this awkward spot where it overflows the first hole in my return then it hits full syphon and emptys the overflow, fills up again then empties (BLOODY NOISY)

So i've turned it off - it's all plumbed up with hoses at the moment because I'm not sure how long I'll be here and waiting till something more permanent comes up then I'll hook it up properly

Think the fix is to install a valve on the second pump so slow the flow down? or do i want even more flow?? bit lost here

Overflow is corner box with hole drilled about 10cm from bottom then emergency a bit higher up

(Sorry for wall of text)

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Drain line has no tap do i add a valve to the bottom drain line? So i can run that at full syphon then have a trickle going through top downpipe?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Drain line has no tap do i add a valve to the bottom drain line? So i can run that at full siphon then have a trickle going through top downpipe?
Oh, if it has no tap now - it is the equivelent of having one wide open (therefore you cannot open it anymore). What tank is this? Any pics of the overflow setup?

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Bit ghetto ( was meant to put a case around the whole tank but ended up with other end in the corner and it ruined my plans)

So 2 hoses just run down to the sump - i found https://www.bunnings.com.au/pope-25mm-in-line-barbed-tap_p3126277 so I can control the flow from the bottom hose

I think i researched a bit about overflows and want the bottom to run at full syphon and the top to be a trickle but there for emergency (correct if wrong) So if i can slow the bottom hose flow down so it maintains full syphon i should be in business

EDIT: OF COURSE MY LINK didn't WORK imgur link
http://imgur.com/a/2T517

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Yeah ok, sounds like you need to let your full syphon flow more so that it doesn't let too much water go down the overflow line. But only guessing, where is your water level in that weir?

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
At the moment with the 1 pump running the return - it's pretty slow so its at the height of the first hole and doesn't go above. At the moment that hose is running at about 60% maybe?

When i turn on the second pump it fills up then full syphon kicks in then it fully drains does a big gurgle then fills up and repeats very noisy and made my ATO go nuts

Problem (i think) it flows too much in the first line so if i can slow it down at full syphon it won't fully drain and will just keep level, top hole can still be there for leftover if it comes to it.

I think that's why on the reading im doing on bean animal is says to have a valve in the full syphon to control the level? Is that what im looking at here

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Got this all rigged up now seems to be working okay, found out my top drain pipe leaked anyway so had to fix that up. Was at the bulkhead so added some teflon tape to the joint and siliconed inside hoping that'll fix it up.

Testing again tonight when silicone is cured, got my new heater over the weekend so hopefully with a bit more speed through sump and another heater it can be a bit more stable again