Reef Discussion

Oct 19, 2016
Need Help Planning First Sump
Hi everyone

Im new and looking for advice

I have a 5x2x2 that im using to start my firat fowlr tank. I want to keep a moray eel and maybe a trigger.

My question is my sump i have a 4ft 200ltr tank that i want to use but im a bit lost on what skimmer to use i ha e been looking at a reef octopus hurricane dnw 150 but unsure if its suitable?

Can anyone help?

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
I am going to get one built for a 5x2.5x2 . This is what i am thinking, Might just mate the return section a little bigger.
P.S I have a large skimmer

Attachments

Last edited:

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Hi Darren,
Moray Eels & Triggers will present a higher than average biolod. They produce a lot of waste. Triggers have a big personality are are amongst my favourite marine fish to keep.

I have not looked into skimmers for a few years and I am sure other members on here can give advice on what would be suitable for your needs.

Whatever skimmer you select, I would get one that is rated for double your system volume.

After you have selected a skimmer that is suitable for your needs, you can start planning your sump.

You will need a way to get the water from the display tank to the sump and adding an overflow is the preferred method as it aids is removing the protein rich, surface of the water and gets it to the sump so it can be processed.

When I was looking for information about sumps, I came across this Reefkeeping Article

Select your skimmer and build the baffles in the sump around the ideal running height for your skimmer :)