Reef Discussion

JMC

Nov 16, 2013
New And Excited!!
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and new to marine aquariums.

I've spent the last few months reading, reading and reading trying to absorb as much information as i can. The more i learn the more i realise there is much much more to learn. As well as visiting LFS and asking a ton of questions I have been following a bunch of threads in various forums until I came across this one and decided to join.

I understand how to cycle your tank and the importance of being patient etc.. I have many many questions which I will need to ask as the they become warranted. You see at this stage I'm yet to buy a tank.

I'm leaning towards a Red Sea 130 d or aqua reef (plug and play) merely for the simplicity and neatness of the over all display. I've read that most people eventually upgrade either the protein skimmer or other bits and pieces. So my first question is this:

should I go for a plug and play model or buy any tank I like and then add the required components? I'm thinking of spending around $1,500 for the tank, sumps, etc.

Eager to hear ur thoughts (I'm sure I can be persuaded by u guys) I've asked around at LFS but they all tell me conflicting things. Perhaps they're biased.

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
I would build it yourself in consultation with hobbyists here. I.e. build plan before spending any money.. Just make sure you get a tank with sump underneath, I had many sumpless and rear compartments over the last 15 years on and off and it is just easier with a proper sump..

Don't worry about the various LFS they have a business to run.

Sent from my HTC_PO582 using Tapatalk

JMC

Nov 16, 2013
I would build it yourself in consultation with hobbyists here. I.e. build plan before spending any money.. Just make sure you get a tank with sump underneath, I had many sumpless and rear compartments over the last 15 years on and off and it is just easier with a proper sump..

t

Thanks for taking the time... I will definitely have a look around. If I were to find a tank I like (with sump).. Lets say 200 lts... Roughly in ur opinion how much would my outlay on hardware be?

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Well my first question is how much are you willing to spend on your tank mate? :)
The RSM 130D's are solid builds but RSM are releasing a new 130 soon so if you want to go that route it might be worthwhile waiting for those?

I also agree with what @Joele has said and go with something with a sump :) Makes life so much easier!! I have a 200Ltr 2ft cube with a 50Ltr sump and after adding all the equipment and such it was about $3k as a rough estimate but that was for a CADE tank which is a little more expensive than a standard tank. Just as an idea for pricing on what I spent

JMC

Nov 16, 2013
Hi wrangy..
If its a plug and play I'm thinking of spending around $1,500 - $2,000.
If I buy a tank with a sump - can I still get quality hardware and still come in under 2 grand?
I've heard aqua one are releasing new tanks in mid December.. So perhaps RSM are around the same time. I'm definitely not in a rush.. I know I will make mistakes along the way but that is why I truly value the opinions of everyone here. Hopefully I get myself the right tank first time round and don't feel a need to change it later.

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
It'd only cost a little more than buying the rsm130d. A tank that size fully plumbed with sump and stand won't cost much. A 130 litre glass cube doesn't cost that much. Also you can find decent skimers much better than the rsm one for $200-250 easy. Also a single led fixture like lets say the blaze 45cm would be enough coverage and cost about $650.. Note it'd only work out a tad more than buying the rsm if you get standard glass 10mm. Starfire will bite the pocket.

timtam

Jul 5, 2013
Glenroy 3046
If you are good with your hands and have the time consider DIYing it. Will save you money and you can do it your way(if that's a good thing):p

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Welcome :) If your around chelt and feel like dropping in to check out a running tank feel free. I'm only a newbie but you can get some ideas.

Bdear22

Feb 11, 2013
Newcastle
:welcome
You could always buy an already running tank someone is selling, there are always risks with this but can be a lot cheaper to do this your first tank until you know what your doing and then can upgrade/upsize

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
lol 2500 posts.... but how many useful ones o_0 Plus I've only had my tank going just over a year too. Surely that's still newbie status!!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Where in melb are you? I'm in Geelong and have a rsm130 your welcome to come take a look at? Just to give you an idea of what they are like?

If I were you - I'd look at the classifieds for a used setup to come along. Firstly, that is truly plug and play - a setup that's been running and debugged for you. Plus, it's going to be a lot cheaper. Is it as nice as a new tank? Probably not, but if you like the hobby you'll be upgrading your tank in no time flat anyway. I bought my rsm130 used and a few months later started a custom 6x2.5x2 build :)

Sam

Morphology

Not all mushrooms are kept in the dark...
Oct 6, 2013
Aspendale
Save yourself money longer term and just save it as you put your system together theoretically. For a decent set up you're looking at least $3000 if you buy quality equipment. Top notch equipment will be easily double or triple that. If you go for that mid range then you won't have as many problems from smaller all in one units with poorer quality parts (such as skimmers and lights).
Also agree with everyone's comments here - preloved set ups can be purchased at a steal! And they usually include things like test kits and salt or additives :)
:welcome

beau

Jun 12, 2013
craigieburn
Welcome mate, basically its expensive but worth it. One piece of advice I got and will forward, don't skimp out. The cheaper option will usually cost you more in the long run. Keep researching and external sump is definitely the way to go. My setups only been going a few months now 5x2x2 with 3ft sump) buts sitting around 5 to 6 grand worth so be prepared to spend some more money on unplanned things or miscalculations... loving the hobby and haven't looked back

JMC

Nov 16, 2013
I've been voicing my intentions about a marine tank to anyone willing to listen. Came across a random guy in a pub who works at an aquarium on Ballarat rd.. Footscray. His advice:
RSM is over priced
Aqua one is about to release new tanks in December
He has seen them at the 'marine/aquarium trade show
Hold off til then
New and improved plug and play with sump
200 lts
$1600
Thoughts??
He went into much more detail and has pretty much convinced me that's wot I am looking for
Confused more than ever.... Apparently it's called the S series... ?????,

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I'm not an equipment person, but I've always been happy with Aqua One products. An all-in-one sounds like a good option to me, except that I hear way too many people say that the equipment you get with all-in-ones is often sub-standard and needs to be upgraded. So I would be finding out what kind of skimmer this tank has and what kind of lighting, then doing some homework on it. If everything checks out then great but there is no point forking out that much dosh (cash) if anything needs replacing because it can't sustain the corals and fish :( I would want to know how noisy the tank is too - that can drive you crazy, especially at night if its humming through the walls of the house. 200 litres is a good size - thats how much water I play with and I honestly think its plenty. Shape of the tank is worth considering as well, I have a standard 4 foot tank and I find it too narrow.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Hi & welcome . IMO you should get as bigger tank as you can afford without skimping on equipment as @beau said.
Te sump is where the water evopration happens, if you dont keep the water level constant it will affect your skimmers performance.
also its where you would add additives . so having a sump in the back makes it harder to Monitor and work on.
so I prefer a sump .
if you calculate the time you spend looking at your tank 1/4 of that time you will have your head in the sump.
unless I have missed it I didn't see what you are targeting to keep in your tank.
P.S if you go for the redsea max you will need a chillier ,Tunze 9002 skimmer and an ATO unit.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Just to play devils advocate, I have a RSM130 and don't have a chiller, tunze 9002 or an ATO unit... I have converted to LED and run a different skimmer though :)

Evap on these tanks is minimal, the hood keeps plenty in. I top up a couple hundred milliliters each morning.