Reef Discussion

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Just to play devils advocate, I have a RSM130 and don't have a chiller, tunze 9002 or an ATO unit... I have converted to LED and run a different skimmer though :)

Evap on these tanks is minimal, the hood keeps plenty in. I top up a couple hundred milliliters each morning.
When I had mine I still had the stock T5 lighting . LED's on it would make a huge difference in heat & evopration

beau

Jun 12, 2013
craigieburn
From my research I learnt it is easier to keep a larger tank, any spikes are less detrimental if there is a larger water capacity. Example an ammonia soike in my 600L system will have less negative side effects then in a 200L tank. But bigger does cost more especially for equipment. If yiu have the space go bigger for sure

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
A lot of people say that purely because of stability in the tank itself, which is definitely true but also comes from a time when it was harder to keep marine tanks. I find less easier to manage though and not as imposing in your home - my 28 litre was a breeze to maintain (without fish). Time to make up replacement water and space to store it is next to nothing. In heat waves I could just draw the curtains, throw a wet towel over the tank and aim a fan at it. Less glass to clean, lower running costs, time spent etc. Now I have a 100 litre water tank in my bedroom!

beau

Jun 12, 2013
craigieburn
A lot of people say that purely because of stability in the tank itself, which is definitely true but also comes from a time when it was harder to keep marine tanks. I find less easier to manage though and not as imposing in your home - my 28 litre was a breeze to maintain (without fish). Time to make up replacement water and space to store it is next to nothing. In heat waves I could just draw the curtains, throw a wet towel over the tank and aim a fan at it. Less glass to clean, lower running costs, time spent etc. Now I have a 100 litre water tank in my bedroom!
Ahhh never thought of it that way... I guess the research I was reading was a little out dated lol o well I am incredibly happy with my setup andbsize for now. Plans to go bigger when we buy a house but till then my 5ft and very soon secind tank 4ft will suffice.

Good luck mate and enjoy your soon to be established hobby. Hours of time second staring and looking for new things in your system

JMC

Nov 16, 2013
Hello again...
Im eager to hear people's thoughts on the tank that at this stage i am likely to buy... its the

'CADE Marine Tank set HL 1000' Dimensions: 1000 x 600 x 550

Retails for around $2000
I understand they are a little pricey but apparently their quality is second to none...

Keen to hear back

cheers

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Few members here have the CADE tanks, myself included, and all I can say about it is it's a fantastic tank! The HL600 is my first saltwater tank ever and the build is awesome and while they are a little more expensive I think it is totally worth the extra cost and they look fantastic too! Nice sleek and modern design and the cabinet is really nice as well :) All I can say is if you can afford it and want the ease of not having a custom made tank then go for it!!

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
My poor cade is scratched up to the max... Lol and it's only been running for 5 months.. Stupid me used a cleaning sponge.. Didn't know it had those particles inside that scratches glass..

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Not the Cade!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha yeah happened when I was running it for like 2 weeks only. Doesn't full bother me. Just as long as the corals are fine and healthy.. Lol im getting a little ceebs for the sps though to be honest. Haha even though I love the look of them.. I think it was maybe a mistake heading into them.. They're so finicky!

JMC

Nov 16, 2013
Thanks for the reply Jimmy.. If you're still online could i pick your brain and ask for ur opinion about which protein skimmer, lighting and other hardware i should probably go with for that particular tank.

My aim is to have soft corals (baby steps) that pop with colour. I'm hoping to achieve that then (i'm in no rush - i understand the 'take it slow' mantra) introduce some fish etc

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
My poor cade is scratched up to the max... Lol and it's only been running for 5 months.. Stupid me used a cleaning sponge.. Didn't know it had those particles inside that scratches glass..
the cleaning sponge doesn't scratch the glass its the tiny bits of sand that get caught in it. I have 1 or 2 scratches but now i just use a algae scrapper and a chux to wipe the glass.

Last edited:

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
I love zoo's too. I also agree that cades are a good build. As a newb i can understand wanting plug and play but down the track you will want to do you modify. I like red sea products but not the tanks just my opinion. Also friend has one and he has mentioned that the lid of the tank makes it warm and is not good in summertime. Cade tanks stay quite cool. I also like to Tunze 9410 skimmer. Here is my Cade HL1200. Pm me if you have any questions
IMG_2487.JPG

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
the cleaning sponge doesn't scratch the glass its the tiny bits of sand that get caught in it. I have 1 or 2 scratches but now i just use a algae scrapper and a chux to wipe the glass.
It was defiantly the sponge.. It was the cleaning sponges.. Was new.. But it had abrasive stuff in it. For two reasons I know.. My tank was bare bottom.. And there wasn't any calcium build ups on a two week old running tank.. Lol.

Gwithian

Nov 24, 2012
Baxter
I'm personally not a fan of the all in ones, but the Cade is by far the best choice of the bunch price aside. I know you have had a few offers but if you are down frankston way feel free to drop by for a sticky at my tank.

JMC

Nov 16, 2013
I'm personally not a fan of the all in ones, but the Cade is by far the best choice of the bunch price aside. I know you have had a few offers but if you are down frankston way feel free to drop by for a sticky at my tank.
Thanks Gwithian... really appreciate the support on Reefuge.. everyone is more than willing to share their experiences. The dedication to us 'newbies' is overwhelming. One thing for sure..... when i finally get there i will be as patient, informative and take the time to share what will be (hate to use this phrase) my journey with those willing to listen and learn about the wonders of aquarium keeping.

Unfortunately im nowhere near frankston, but if u have pics or a tank journal.. i'd like to see them. Also.. what model do u have.. and what hardware? have u had to make any modifications, etc.

Cheers

JMC

Nov 16, 2013
It's done. Picked up my fish tank today.. Very exciting.

I can proudly say I am the new owner of a cade HL 800! image.jpg

One thing though: The only instructions for the plumbing is all in Chinese with no diagrams. Help!

Oh, and I'd like to know ur recommendations for a protein skimmer. I'm looking for one as quiet as possible but of high quality.

Cheers