Reef Discussion

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Congrats!! You'll love it mate!! :D

I would hands down recommend RLSS protein skimmers :) I have the R6-i on my HL600 and it is absolutely dead silent and runs brilliantly, so easy to maintain and everything :)

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Awesome ! Welcome to the Cade group. Can't help with plumbing as mine is what is called as a back parcel.
A recommendation though. Use Teflon tape on all joins and silicon where connecting plumbing to glass.

Regarding skimmer. I have a tunze 9410. They are a good build and very compact. They also only use 11w power.
I have one and love it

Last edited:

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
If you're still considering a skimmer, take a look at the AquaMedic Turboflotor 500 Blue.
Absolutely brilliant skimmer, super quiet and easy to maintain.
It would handle your size tank perfectly.

JMC

Nov 16, 2013
Thanks everyone..

I'll look into all of those and make a decision this week.

What other hardware would you recommend...?
(At this stage I only have an empty tank and sump. I still can't stop looking at it though.. Lol)

I asked the local LFS.. He talked so fast I didn't understand a thing... Jumbled letters and numbers and 'u need this and that' - I did understand the last bit though: "3 grand"

I finally told him I wasn't in a rush and that I needed to consult with a few people (The reefuge) before committing to any products

JMC

Nov 16, 2013
Hi again.. I've been trying to find pics of sump set ups for the cade 800 and can not find any that are the same as mine. May I please have your thoughts also on how you would set this up in this particular tank.

Thanks
image.jpg

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
back left is where the first chamber is (where water from your tank FIRST goes. I also put skimmer in this section.Then in front of that where the black grids are you can put dacron sponge/media for more bacteria to grow on and or rowaphos in mesh bag and or Carbon to purify water.Right of that is the third chamber this is for whatever..some people put extra rock.Then behind that (back right chamber is where your return pump will go to take water back up to your tank.

JMC

Nov 16, 2013
Thanks Oscar.. that is a major help. I can see the skimmer and the return pump.. what other contraptions do u have in there? Apologies for my ignorance..

beau

Jun 12, 2013
craigieburn
I know you dont have this much room but this is my sump... single pump about 8500 or 9500? Thats running an algae scrubber, media reactor, uv sterilizer directly fed into skimmer, return flow and excess outlet :)
20131209_035400.jpg
Still needs some tidying up... also a deeo sand bed, Some live rock and a little bit of algae(more than likely disappear now I have the scrubber.

JMC

Nov 16, 2013
Wow... I have some work to do. Quite a bit of plumbing also. At this stage all I have is this:
image.jpg
Take note of my Chinese instructions.. Lol

JMC

Nov 16, 2013
I can come and help you if you like. Where in vic are you?
Thanks Oscar... i may have to take you up on that.. i'm in west footscray, just past docklands. My plan at the moment is to organise (it was todays plan but i was just way to busy) my protein skimmer, return pump, power heads and heater.. then see how much more room i have. I'm wanting to get as much stuff in the sump as possible... once i know everything will fit.. i'll purchase what i need and then perhaps attempt to plumb it all.. or be at the mercy of the reefuge crew..