Reef Discussion

chris B

Dec 14, 2011
Liberty Grove
New Aqua One LED Lights
radiance Marine Led Light, Has anyone heard about these now coming onto the market within australia and i would like to see the prices they come out and what sizes they suite as well.

• Programmable timer
• Moonlight function
• Manual mode
• Incremental Dimming
• Energy saving
• Low heat output
• No UV or IR light
• Light compensation mode
• Rated for 50,000 hours

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
Saw these at a trade show, I didn't think they were all that great and looked to be using cheap leds.

chris B

Dec 14, 2011
Liberty Grove
which trade show did you see these at ,it would be good to see how good the quality of these are really are and how popular they will be

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
Pet Expo last year. The LED's looked like those cheap 1/2 watt diodes you see on strip lights on ebay. So add a few strips of them, a controller and a nice looking fitting (mutton dressed as lamb) and you have this light.

Popular and Good efficient lighting are not synonymous.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
AquaOne normally produce products at the lower end of the market, and with LED's you do get what you pay for.

Their brochure is lacking in the important details i.e. what LED's are they using. The controller looks good, although this could be put together for less than $50.

From the picture, and the number of LED's used, they are using 1W LED's which is a concern for me - these LED's are inefficient and old technology but a lot of the lower end units use them because they are cheap. They will look nice and bright but whether are are producing light at the correct spectrum is another matter.

Not something I would buy.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
One of my LFS has the first unit sold in Aus (apparently) and he couldnt program the light to come on during the day... even with the help of the aqua one rep it was doing some weird shit like coming on during the night and switching one and off during the day. I think this is not a good sign for these lights!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
From my reading, you program in 6 points in a 24 hour period, with each point having a variable power level - the program then ramps up or down between these points.

Maybe the one mentioned above was faulty, and they just didn't understand the program :rolleyes

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i can see these being better then the cheap Chinese leds but it depends on their price point.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Id say these still are cheap chinese but Kongs has pretty good customer service and support LFS, not to mention agressive pricing (ie $50 skimmers that to some degree actaully do work) so from that point Id say these could be better than BS.

Not that id run either on my DT, still potentially an interesting product

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Is there any talk of updating the AR### tanks to have LED's as well?
Found this on the Practical Fishkeeping site
. The new Fluval Edge has LEDs, Maidenhead Aquatics and Superfish nano tanks have LEDs, as do tanks from Aqua One.
any idea of pricing ?
Also found this post
Correct me if im wrong but i saw the aqua one radiance in my lfs and it was priced up at £1200,far too much money for most fishkeepers in my opinion!

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
On the 4ft coral tank at my LFS when I saw the light on it looked really nice and crisp... No spotlighting and seemed to be really well built just the issue with the programming... and like MagicJ said it could well have been faulty