News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
New Features and Upgrade
Hello everyone,

As you all can see by now The Reefuge has been upgraded. This was a huge upgrade and I will explain some of the new features and changes below. Please remember, this upgrade was very big and because of this some features and elements on The Reefuge are broken. These will be fixed as they are found and will be done so as quickly as possible.

Redactor Editor
As you all can see, the editor has been swapped from TinyMCE to Redactor. Redactor is far superior to TinyMCE and has a lot less bugs in terms of dealing with our site.

• User @tagging is now built into the editor directly.
  • User @tagging now shows a suggestions list to allow users to easily find the user they wish to tag.
  • Ability to paste images directly into the editor. The image will upload upon posting.
  • Drag and drop file uploading support. Simply drag files into the editor to upload them.
  • Smiley shows up at the bottom of the editor and looks neater.
  • Autosave - The editor will save what you are typing so if there is a timeout or you close the window it keeps the message stored.
  • You are notified if messages have been posted since you started replying to a thread.

Security
A more secure password storage method known as bcrypt. Most hashing schemes are designed to be fast, which makes them unsuitable for password storage. Bcrypt is intentionally slow and is also tunable so it can do more work over time as computers become faster.

Speed

We have implemented various cache systems in order to allow the site to run as fast as possible. In addition to this, we change our database server. The server is now running as fast as possible for our framework. A lot of you should notice a very different experience surfing The Reefuge.

I hope you all enjoy the new changes. There are some great features coming up soon so you can all look out for them :)

P.S - LFS Reviews page has been disabled. This is because it is going to be implemented into a new, advanced hotspots map.

Thanks.

deediro

Jan 19, 2013
Roxburgh Park
This site is getting better by the day... only issue I can see is that it's all well and fine for us tech savvy folk but the less IT inclined may be put off by the many features it has and how good it is and stick to the simpler, less community focused "other forum".

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
This site is getting better by the day... only issue I can see is that it's all well and fine for us tech savvy folk but the less IT inclined may be put off by the many features it has and how good it is and stick to the simpler, less community focused "other forum".
Hello @deediro,

The site is designed for any user to easily use it. For example, the alerts. Instead of a user needing to navigate to another page to see who replied to them, it shows them on every page. To add to this, it auto-scrolls with the page. To top it off, should the user even miss it for some reason, there is a large speech balloon that pops up in real time in the bottom left hand corner of the page.

Improvements are always needed, and it would be great to get feedback of what can be changed to make the site even more user friendly.

Thanks.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Can we get the dislike button shifted? It'd be great to have it as far from the like and funny button as possible, as even I've hit it by mistake.
Loving the classifieds notifications by the way :D

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Can we get the dislike button shifted? It'd be great to have it as far from the like and funny button as possible, as even I've hit it by mistake.
Loving the classifieds notifications by the way :D
Good call, seems like 50% of dislikes are accidental and people just get pissed off about it.

deediro

Jan 19, 2013
Roxburgh Park
Maybe a column in the marketplace front page list next to each ad showing the state it's being sold/requested in? - maybe there's one there I can't see

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Maybe a column in the marketplace front page list next to each ad showing the state it's being sold/requested in? - maybe there's one there I can't see
Hello @deediro,

This is on its way. It will add a prefix to the listing. Listings can then be filtered to display on listings with the desired prefix.

Thanks.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
The lack of a location in the classifieds summary is still a big weakness. Most ads I open end up being irrelevant due to location.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
The lack of a location in the classifieds summary is still a big weakness. Most ads I open end up being irrelevant due to location.
Hello Ian G,

The upgrades are still being worked on as well as features. Coding takes time. They will have this feature soon.

Thanks.