Tank Journal Archive

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
New Fish & Screen Mesh Top - August 2014
After falling in love with a little lawnmower blenny (species: Salarias patzneri (Patzner's Blenny) and a little orange lined/yellow striped cardinal, I thought it was best to construct the screen mesh top (mesh supplied from Morphology's group buy)

P.S. If anyone ever asks you to do one of these mesh tops for you )properly, 45 degree angles, shaved, riveted and the biggest thing, to fit SNUG AS A BUG inside a rimless top) then......... Well............ They are not your friend HAHA.

What a PITA job! But so so so worth the result:

amedia.use.com_images_s_2_bcadb635e694be8765e8_2.jpg
amedia.use.com_images_s_2_bcadb635e694be8765e8_3.jpg
amedia.use.com_images_s_2_bcadb635e694be8765e8_4.jpg
amedia.use.com_images_s_2_bcadb635e694be8765e8_6.jpg

Last edited:

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Nice job! Every tank without a hood should have one of these :)

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga

It seriously was suuuuch a tedious slow process! But I'm so fussy and full credit to my boyfriend who is just as fussy and took all the time needed to shave and rivet into perfection :)

amedia.use.com_images_s_2_bcadb635e694be8765e8_1.jpg

I was very lucky that it fit snugly over the Weir (it slots down just behind the return nozzle and the screw for the light clamp - LUCKY OF WHAT?!) and with the Weir design and tubing I can still rescue a jumper easily from there if one goes via the overflow.

When sitting directly in front of the tank (with the tank middle as eye level - how I usually sit in front of the tank) its invisible, which is a bonus.

amedia.use.com_images_s_2_bcadb635e694be8765e8_5.jpg

Last edited:

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Anyone on this forum still have some mesh left over from a group buy a little while ago? or a link to the States where the guy sells it?

Cheers

PS. Nice job - looks the goods.

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga

I really REALLY didn't want any kind of cover - but when you get a new little addition that just seems to special to allow carpet surfing (especially when he likes scooting straight up the sides of the glass at a million miles an hour after head butting a Nas Snail - well, it was a necessary thing.

@Morphology might be of some help with left over mesh?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Anyone on this forum still have some mesh left over from a group buy a little while ago? or a link to the States where the guy sells it?

Cheers

PS. Nice job - looks the goods.
I reckon I have some left here.

E

ezza

that looks great! i'd love one of those. i took my covers off months ago and loathe the glass panes i still have to use. they are a pain to clean.

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
*Updated Photo's of the Screen Above*

Introducing the new fish! The Blenny is honestly the FUNNIEST FELLOW!!! His favourite spot is sitting in an open mussel shell that's attached to the side of the live rock, acting like a bean bag shelf and tonight when I was watching him, a piece of fish poop fell into his "condo" and he promptly picked it up and spat it away!!! So Freaking Hilarious!

amedia.use.com_images_s_2_bcadb635e694be8765e8_8.jpg
amedia.use.com_images_s_2_bcadb635e694be8765e8_9.jpg
amedia.use.com_images_s_2_bcadb635e694be8765e8_10.jpg

Cosby

May 14, 2013
Nice work.

I've just ordered a laser cut acrylic lid for my cade, and I should then be able to house a few more fish without worrying about finding them in the floor in the morning.

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
I was originally going to do a solid lid but with the water build up due to evaporation they tend to drip a LOT when you go to move the lid off to access the tank, so that's why I decided to go this route :-)

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
For some reason your edited link is still going to the "other" site (eek! lol)

EDIT: @Fragalicious I'm coming to Sunbury on the 13th-14th of September and would LOVE to pop in on the Sunday before I come home :) ermahgerd you have Stom snails! I will be getting some! Love the little guys (I once found one in my nano and I was freaking out about what it was and if it was dangerous, but once I researched and discovered what it was, I wanted more :)

Last edited:

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I was originally going to do a solid lid but with the water build up due to evaporation they tend to drip a LOT when you go to move the lid off to access the tank, so that's why I decided to go this route :)
You could try an angled solid lid. That should allow the "drippings" to slide to one end for easy removal?

Actually, forget I said it, this mesh job is second to NONE!