Tank Journal Archive

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
New Fish
We have been away at the gold coast so we stopped in at reef secrets and I purchased a Blue tang for my tank and a few other things for my wife's Nano. You may be thinking why a Blue tang? A Blue tang is one fish I have never had success with due to white spot and is one of the fish on my most wanted list as it is the main fish that attracted me to this hobby nearly 10 years ago (Thanks finding Nemo).

I purchased him from reef secrets and we drove home to the sunshine cost which was a 2 Hour trip. I decided to do it this way as the fish I have got from reef secrets in that past have always been very healthy and the Blue tangs I have purchased on the sunshine coast are usually more expensive and not in as good a condition.

I am not to worried about the other fish in my tank suffering from the white spot as they are all very healthy. I did not set up a quarantine tank as I believe it can stress the fish out more in some cases (Not all if you have the resources to do it properly which I don't) My system has had white spot before so will have always had so I am not worried about introducing it in to the system. I also do water changes with NSW so every time I do that There is probably some getting introduced.

Plan of attack which is nice and simple is to feed regularly with the food I make my self that has garlic in it and I will also add extra fresh garlic. The tang has eaten already and I have also turned the lights off as soon as it was finished.

Fingers crossed will let you guys know how I get on

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Day one down,

The tang is eating blood worms but was not interested in my frozen food very much or some blanched spinach and seaweed I put in the tank. I have seen him flik a couple off times but is no sign of the spot yet but is still early days. Fingers crossed

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
He's in great shape! Nice! Have you tried adding the frozen food with the blood worms at the same time so the worms make the dead stuff dance? I feel like serial killer typing that...

Henry G

Oct 9, 2012
Brisbane
looks happy to me, he will come around, fish are animals of habit and will "follow the leader" my hand caught anthias from Reef Secrets are onto pellets already thanks to the tank bred clowns they are with. Your blue tang will expand his diet soon with the observation of other fish downing the "unknown" items.

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
He's in great shape! Nice! Have you tried adding the frozen food with the blood worms at the same time so the worms make the dead stuff dance? I feel like serial killer typing that...
Haha only a little bit of a serial killer. The blood worms are frozen as well so no animated dead :P

looks happy to me, he will come around, fish are animals of habit and will "follow the leader" my hand caught anthias from Reef Secrets are onto pellets already thanks to the tank bred clowns they are with. Your blue tang will expand his diet soon with the observation of other fish downing the "unknown" items.
Ye I am sure it will start just keen to get this guy through. Will keep you all posted

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Ok Tang has a couple of small spots but not to concerned yet. He is still not eating much but think he is still settling in. I wondering if he is a bit crazy in the coconut o_0 as he just swims up and down the glass on one side if the tank. He goes for a cruse around the tank then has a rest and then repeats the proce's :confused:

Will wait and see what happens

Last edited:

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Ok Tang has a couple of small spots but not to concerned yet. He is still not eating much but think he is still settling in. I wondering if he is a but crazy in the coconut o_0 as he just swims up and down the glass on one side if the tank. He goes for a cruse around the tank then has a rest and then repeats the proce's :confused:

Will wait and see what happens
could be a bit of stress or maybe just getting used to the surroundings and realising where his borders are

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
could be a bit of stress or maybe just getting used to the surroundings and realising where his borders are

Ye I hope that is all that is going on. All other fish are ok they are loving the extra food I am putting in at the moment for the Tang :P

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Ye I hope that is all that is going on. All other fish are ok they are loving the extra food I am putting in at the moment for the Tang :p
Just try not to spook him and he should be fine just keep a close eye on him

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Update.....

He has settled down a lot and has stopped his swimming up and down the glass. He is venturing out a lot more and today for the first time ate a heap of see weed and the frozen food finally!!!!!! :worship

He still has the couple of white spots which will be there until they do there thing but he is not getting any worse. All other fish are great and have no signs of itch as they are all healthy and happy at this stage.

Fingers crossed all down up hill from here

Last edited:

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Was hard to get a Good pic as moving around a lot and not using flash makes it even harder haha

He has not been in to his food much again today and is starting to look bit skinny. Any suggestions on food they like. He checks it all out like he wants it then spits it out. I have tried Spinach, Lettuce, Frozen food, Dried food and the sea weed stuff. He likes one thing one day and not the next he is as bad as my 2 kids haha

tang 007.JPG

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Steamed zucchini? Saw a suggestion recently for feeding marine fish slices of oranges on a clip - that was a new one (vit c...). Try rubber banding a piece of nori to a rock to make it a bit more natural in presentation. Fresh small mussel in shell, smashed on to a rock in the tank (put it in and crush it).

Anywhere you could get a handful of Caulerpa from?

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Ye I have Caulerpa in my fuge never thought of that haha so they usually like it? Il try that and is it dose not like it will try the Zucchini. Thanks for the suggestions @Agent M

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I have never kept a tang but I hear they'll smash Caulerpa and its good to grow it for them in the sump. If you feed the Caulerpa to the Tang you can then add 'permaculture' to your resume :p

What species do you have? Caulerpa taxifolia either isn't as tasty or eaten at all - if thats what you have, try it and confirm for me :)

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
I have The taxifolia. I have just put some in attached to a piece of LR instead of the veggie clip. Has not shown any interest yet will let you know

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Yeah I don't think that one is edible. Do you know anyone close by you can get some from? A number of us are cursed with Caulerpa peltata at the moment - if you want to start growing your own for him I can let a bit of it grow out and send it to you if you like but won't be for a few weeks as I have all but removed it from the tank.

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Thanks for the offer I will get him up and running first and may take you up on the offer. I will try the Zuccini tomorrow and the Nori on the LR sins he has only eaten once of the veggie clip. I may be trying to hard and may be better leaving him and see if he sorts him self out just don's want him to die.......

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Not looking good he is very weak and still not eating don't think he is going to make it. He still doesn't have much spot so think it i more stress related. Gona be hard to talk my wife in to ;getting me get another one down track :banghead