Tank Journal Archive

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
New Iphone Live Pics Are Great.
Wow the new IPhone has a new thingy its called live pics. It detects the fish moving and the picture actually moves in real life for about 3 sec before stopping and turning into a static picture. Hard to explain really, but for a phone picture they are great.
Color and clarity is amazing, for someone who has never owned a decent camera I am impressed.

IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0363.JPG
IMG_0365.JPG
IMG_0376.JPG

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
What food is that on the clip @Lesley?

Tired of just feeding different colours of nori and pellets. What do you feed?
Caulerpa from the sump. It's a free healthy snack , they get it twice a day. Mine also love spirilina brine & most frozen. But fav is green nori ! Occasionally pellets & flakes.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
How do your Fungia go situated on rocks? I always kept them on sand.
As you can see. They are fine. Occasionally one puffs up & floats down to sand bed. But not often. To be honest we have a few on the sand & they don't seem to do as well as these ones so we swap them over occasionally too n
image.jpeg

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
That Iphone takes a damn nice picture Lesley, like Sam said don't underestimate yourself. Try different settings and experiment, that's what I do with my camera. I'll be shooting some new pics tomorrow, I set the 57 back up to start it cycling because Vanuatu is going to start shipping again and there's a hybrid from there I want for myself.

It takes me about 30 shots to get one I like. It's a pain in the arse to pull out the tripod, switch lenses and set up the flash, hence the reason I do pictures about once a month or longer. The old adage is, practice makes perfect. ;)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I learned something yesterday about Powder Blues that I didn't know, nor would I have ever guessed. Powder Blues out of Indo are pure crap. I never noticed it until I mentioned to a friend that the last batch of PBs that came in were terrible he asked where they came from. I told him Indo, he said NEVER, EVER buy them from there, Sri Lanka or anywhere in the Indian Ocean only. He said the ones out of the Indo Pacific are full of parasites and they don't last long in captivity and they lose 75%+ at the holding facilities! I think I figured out your disease vector from your earlier losses.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I learned something yesterday about Powder Blues that I didn't know, nor would I have ever guessed. Powder Blues out of Indo are pure crap. I never noticed it until I mentioned to a friend that the last batch of PBs that came in were terrible he asked where they came from. I told him Indo, he said NEVER, EVER buy them from there, Sri Lanka or anywhere in the Indian Ocean only. He said the ones out of the Indo Pacific are full of parasites and they don't last long in captivity and they lose 75%+ at the holding facilities! I think I figured out your disease vector from your earlier losses.
Very very interesting indeed. Well I dont know if I should credit the UV I purchased or not but I have to say we had signs of Ich returning within days of this lot arriving. I did treat with medic straight away (18 days) & ran UV 24/7. The spots on blue hippo's & white cheek never worsened , but still did seem to hang around for about 6 weeks. So didn't kill the cycle but 100% lessened their multiplying ability. Was terrified But all clear & happy now & just fattening them all up. Before I get jumped on , I understand that out tank will not be free if Ich & it is living in my tank. But in saying that I also believe over time the UV will have us Ich free eventually. I have given up on powder blues. I am really happy with his relative ( white cheek ). He is far less aggressive & has shown to be a good leader. Yes he rules the tank but with a much kinder spirit

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
@ReeferRob Just tried to send you private message, and it says I cant do that because you have blocked certain people from seeing your profile ?
I have sent you an email instead, just copied and pasted my message from here so it looks funny. But just thought I would let you know its on its way.
How dare you BLOCK me anyways................

P.S, I have NOT sent you an email, because my stupid new phone has not saved your email address.
could you send me an email please, you have my address and I can then reply.
Thanks

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
@ReeferRob Just tried to send you private message, and it says I cant do that because you have blocked certain people from seeing your profile ?
I have sent you an email instead, just copied and pasted my message from here so it looks funny. But just thought I would let you know its on its way.
How dare you BLOCK me anyways................

P.S, I have NOT sent you an email, because my stupid new phone has not saved your email address.
could you send me an email please, you have my address and I can then reply.
Thanks
I dunno how the hell that has happened, @The Reefuge probably flipped the wrong switch. :D

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I run a UV at the shop 24/7/365 and damn if I can keep an Indo PB alive for more than 8-9 months. Like I said in my email, we're diligently trying to figure out what it is and if we can kill it in quarantine so they can go on living. I personally think it's some sort of protozoan, but short of euthanizing one straight away I'm going to watch for one to start to get skinny and throw it in the freezer and do a microscopic examination. I did get one of those USB microscopes, still haven't used it, lol.