Tank Journal Archive

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
New Journal And Post Crash Update
It's been a while since I posted about my tank, turns out I am really bad at keeping a journal so i'll try again. My old journal is old and hardly updated and it won't let me add posts to it for some reason. My tank is also a shadow of the tank it was when I started it two years ago.

My tank started crashing late last year and I lost all of my LPS and Zoas and most of my rics/morphs. Also lost quite a few fish and snails during this period as well. It all happened quite fast and I'm still not entirely sure what caused it to go to hell. I did have my ATO magnet rust without realising so it was breaking down for quite a while before I discovered it. This is a possible cause and also the Zeovit people insisted I change my return line from the black flexi-hose which I thought was fine but they insisted I should change it which I did.

Since the beginning of the year I have turned off the Zeovit and let it settle for a few weeks. I was debating weather to go pellets or liquid dosing and had purchased a reactor. I then started looking into Matrix/Siporax after reading the threads posted here and elsewhere about the method. I thought I would see how running the Matrix in the reactor would go so I added as much as I could to my reactor and started dosing no3po4x and a little Zeobac.

The results have been amazing so far.

Using Red Sea Nitrate and Phosphate Kits and also Hanna Phosphate sometimes.

Week 1 - Nitrate 16+ / Phos .1+ (red sea)
Week 2 - Nitrate 16 / Phos .1 (red sea)
Week 3 - Nitrate 12 / Phos - Not Tested
Week 4 - Nitrate 8 / Phos - Not Tested
Week 5 - Nitrate 6-8 / Phos - .07 (hanna)
Week 6 - Nitrate 4 / Phos .08 (red sea)

Today Phosphate was less than .08 on the Red Sea so I tested it with the Hanna checker and got .04.

I'm very happy my tank is getting back on track now.

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
Week 8 - Nitrate 2 / Phos .02 (8ml per day of No3Po4x)

I must say I am very happy with these results, given all the issues I have had for the last 6 months.

Ready for corals again :worship