Tank Journal Archive

newTOreef

Nov 16, 2013
New Lighting
today is xmas, and last night santa surprised me with a new display light, a reef flare 30 full programmable led, from naqua, highly recommend pete aka chimaera, awesome company, awesome service, because i ordered so close to xmas, he threw in express post for free, the lights had not hit his store yet so he updated me constanly for ease of mind, excellent unit great built quality heres a pic, its only at 25% when the pic was taken also tomorrow plan to install hanging kit to raise slightly to cover all the corners of the tank,
20131225_081251.jpg

newTOreef

Nov 16, 2013
hanging kit is up, very nerve racking as ive never hung a light before, as soon as i let the weight of the light go i took a deep breath hoping the hooks wouldnt rip out of the gyprock, alls well that ends well, lift it up slightly to give a lil more spread

newTOreef

Nov 16, 2013
second photo still at 35% brightness, if home later to day will get a shot as it ramps to 100%

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
lights.JPG
here is the spreadsheet that I would use to work out a plan for your lights. Dont feel obliged to use 100% of any channel, just adjust to suit your taste in colour. I'll attach the spreadsheet too if it will help you plan a setup?

Sam

Attachments

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
See how you go, I prefer to start with mid range percentages then add mote of the colour I want at certain parts of the day and take some off the colours you don't want. Easier than having them all at 100% and having to take amounts off the other three channels to make one appear brighter :)
Don't be disheartened if you don't get it first time, it's something I like to tweak every now and then to try out new mixes :)

newTOreef

Nov 16, 2013
yea ill def give it a go, ill monitor it like this for the rest of the week while i have off work, n mix it up a bit to get it how i want it, thanks again

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
God damn your water level is high! When I kept mine that high., my fish decided to have fun behind the overflow. But nice lighting.. Mate and good you were able to hang it.. Much better spread. Also second that with Pete's service, very nice fella to deal with.

newTOreef

Nov 16, 2013
hey jimmy thanks mate, yea i designed the weir so i had the water to the brim, but regreted it later, 10mm glass cant do much now to trim it down, everything is 100% level so besides not being able to run wavemaker at 100% everything else goes alright with the height of the water, had one clown carpet surfer early on, dunno how long he was out for, but found him, thre him back in and that was months ago n his still swimming happy

newTOreef

Nov 16, 2013
thanks, yea im pretty happy with the bang for buck price tag, i still have a bit of tweeking to get the colours right, but over all pretty pleased with it so far

newTOreef

Nov 16, 2013
so today i decided i wanted to be able to see my sump all the time so decided to cut into the cabinet to expose the sump refugium, let me know what u all think

newTOreef

Nov 16, 2013
hey daveH yea i planed on putting hinges on the front, but didn't want them being seen, so brought the board thick enough to add concealed hinges, (like they use on kitchen cupboards) but when i looked at the hinges at bunnings they looked really difficult to install so havent gotten up to doing that yet lol

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
So what's the verdict on the lights? They look very purple is that just the way you like to have them set or? I was interested in getting this unit from @chimaera @naqua but he didn't get it before his holiday and haven't heard since :( my tank desperately needs lighting!!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Light looks great :D - have to admit, although the tank mounts are useful in some cases, hanging does make it look 10x better.

So what's the verdict on the lights? They look very purple is that just the way you like to have them set or? I was interested in getting this unit from @chimaera @naqua but he didn't get it before his holiday and haven't heard since :( my tank desperately needs lighting!!
The red/green channel could do with tweaking down a little to remove the purple-ness ;)

And I'll message you now about the lights @MichaelBinns :)