Tank Journal Archive

grimnir

Aug 12, 2013
Parkinson
Use a heat gun and you can pull apart any glued pvc joint, people often do it to retrieve expensive fittings. Clean them up with sandpaper and they are as good as new.

There are different pvc glues remember for pressure pipe and drainage pipe......blue is drainage and green is pressure.

The fussing of the pipes is not like using weldon on acrylic, it only fusses the very very skin of the pvc.

Will test that out as I need to re-do my twin IBC plumbing and 2" fittings aren't cheap lol

Tannum_Paul

Jun 18, 2015
Tannum Sands
Will test that out as I need to re-do my twin IBC plumbing and 2" fittings aren't cheap lol
Just remember pvc bends/melts so be careful and heat the waste piece not the keep piece.

Here is a good YouTube video and there is a link under the video with written instructions.

http://articles.earthanedge.com/how-to-recover-pipe-fittings/ that is the article page, you need to register to read it though but it is worth registering cause there are some really interesting articles there.

Last edited:

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
We used to do this slightly differently... We would coat the inside of the piece being removed with PVC glue and then set it on fire. You learn VERY quickly how much glue is just enough and how much is too much!

If you are going to try to retrieve used fittings make sure you cut a slot in the piece of pipe you are going to pull out of the joint. If you use a sharp hacksaw blade (life is too short to use blunt hacksaw blades!) and carefully cut all the way down through to the the glue you will not crack the fitting when pulling the piece out.

The longer the joint has been glued the harder this is to do without cracking the fitting, also the piece of pipe being removed can become brittle and small shards will break off and remain glued... This sucks. The small pieces are extremely hard to remove! Making sure the area is thoroughly heated to soften the plastic helps to avoid this.