Tank Journal Archive

jart

Apr 10, 2015
New Scape, A Few New Corals
A few changes over the last few weeks:

LIVESTOCK
* picked up a few new fish and corals from a local reefer who was shutting down his tank, so tank is looking a little fuller and has a bit more movement and action

* two of the new fish were added to the DT - an orchid dotty back (gorgeous pale purple colour atm, but quite shy) and a damsel (was not 100% convinced he would be a good addition, but decided to try - amazing metallic blue colour sold me and he has been largely well behaved). As i already have 2 clowns the new clown is currently living in my sump until I figure out what to do with him. Gorgeous fish but vast majority of what I have read is that 3 clowns don't do well in the long run.

* new corals from other reefer included 3 new hammers (a purple with purple tips, a green with green tips and another purple with green tips), a torch coral (a bit bleached, but slowly coming back to life), a green fungia and an orange fungia (never had them before, but loving the way their little "arms" extend and their shape keeps changing depending on how happy they are), and lastly a leather (so cool to see the surface each morning go from 'smooth' to covered in polyps when the lights come on)

Poor pic, but hammer garden and leather:
as26.postimg.org_rewcbv0hl_20180316_184143.jpg

* met @NiCd, who came to pick up the morphs I had listed for free, and proceeded to turn it into a friendly trade by gifting me with a dense frag tile of mixed Eagle eyes and Aus Blue Ice zoas. :) Thanks again @NiCd.

Fungias with NiCd's mixed zoa frag in the back right:
as26.postimg.org_l1798m3bd_20180319_203125.jpg

* the two clowns and the nem are best of friends and the nem slowly migrated up the corner of the weir (out from behind the rocks, hooray) to settle for the last 2 weeks or so up near the overflow. So cool to watch.

EQUIPMENT:
* I have been hunting for a second matching light to help me light the tank more evenly. Love the 3ft depth of my tank, but one Maxspect Razr has never been ideal. @NiCd suggested getting a Kessil to supplement. Ended up finding a great deal that included an AI Prime HD LED light. Have mounted it near the front right corner and it is lighting that corner beautifully. If the polyp extension on the corals there is any indication they are going to love that light.

SCAPE
* since the tank was first setup I had a medium sized rock in the centre of the tank near the front (with another smaller rock leaning against it to create a cave). It was the one that my morphs eventually decided to plant their feet on. When I removed the morphs and passed them on my intention was to replace this rock with another cool one I found in my collection. Tried that, but the new rock was too big for the space and just didn't look right. Long story short, upside down the orig rock fit firmly and perfectly in another place in the tank (left side, bridging the front left and back left rocks) - created another cave and maintained a flatish surface to mount future corals, but the biggest change is that the middle of my tank scape is now empty and open. Has changed the whole feel of the tank.

Before:
as26.postimg.org_cwud3t5rt_20180226_201538.jpg

After:
as26.postimg.org_iwmw7jh49_20180319_203117.jpg

A pic of my zoa frag rack. From the front going back: 1) Blue Agaves (I think); 2) Anyone know what these 3 are?; 3) Darth Maul with 2 new buds in the middle; 4) blurry, but a Blue Hornet (I think)
as26.postimg.org_ad3i9vvy1_20180319_203141.jpg

One day I vow to get better at taking pics of my tank.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
FYI - There was also some magician pallys on that frag as well - They are the larger polyp ones

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Thanks for the ID, Scott.

Have always had trouble IDing my zoas :) due mainly to:

* the vast number of diffferent varieties

* every reefer who has posted pics on line of their zoas has a different lighting scheme, so the colours vary wildly, even among the same variety

I am also now not sure whether what I thought were Darth Mauls are actually Utter Chaos. :) Though I am happy that the 2 new buds have opened up in the last few days as per the pic below.

as26.postimg.org_d6mhmmitl_20180323_195701.jpg