Reef Discussion

Letmus Test

Oct 20, 2016
New Set Up For 6x2x2
HI guys,
thanks in anitpication for any advice given.
Been in tropical for over a decade and decided now is the time to dive into what I 've truly wanted.
Looking to start a 6x2x2 mainly reef tank.
I have been told better to start smaller 4ft but my wife will only let me buy one, so i thought get the ideal size for the space available.
Just wanting to welcome thoughts on good quality equipment for the set up and ideas on which LFS in the sydney area would be good, as my local has traditionally been tropical.
With young 3 kids I'm a bit time poor and would love a lower maintenance system.

Been reading heaps on the forum, just been getting overwhelmed.
Much aprreciated
Ty

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hi @Letmus Test and welcome to The Reefuge.

There's nothing wrong with starting with a 6x2x2 - it just means that your water changes will be a bit bigger :)

What sort of budget are you looking at as that will help to determine what equipment will be best for you.

@slin1977 can probably offer some advice on LFS's.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Bigger tanks do cost more (in equipment, stocking, maintenance, etc) but they are also more stable and offer a greater choice of livestock.

If you want low maintenance either be prepared to spend the $$$ (auto water changes, NSW on hand, auto RO and top off's, etc) or be prepared to have things go south. Sorry but low maintenance rarely ends well unless the proper setup (automation wise) have been put together.

As @MagicJ said - whats your budget?

Oh - and Welcome...

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
yep - budget is the main thing that comes to mind with a larger tank, budget and the need to make water changes easy (not always automated, but you don't need to be lugging 200l of buckets each week).

All that being said, you can still have a low maintenance and lowish budget large tank be successful, just need to know what your expectations are coral and fish stocking levels wise. Have you seen any tanks or parts of tanks you like and would like to replicate? Show us those, give us an idea of setup and on-going budget and what sort of maintenance time per week you could afford to spend on the tank and we can help with a lot more details :)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Hello and welcome to the Reefuge-
A six footer will be awesome to own.

My go to stores in Sydney for dry goods are the two Aquaristic stores.
Aquaristic has over the years provided my lighting , flow ,salt , filtration and chemistry needs.
Yap ,I have spent a lot of dollars there. Any warranty claims have also been sorted. They are great for getting you that special fish too.
Aquaristic online shop is also a great help for those times when I can't make it to the shop.

My second go to would be Eastwood Aquariums, they are great for sound advice and wet items such as fish and coral. Check out Eastwoods Facebook page for up to date news.