Reef Discussion

Nov 15, 2012
New Set-Up Shopping List
Hi,

I am looking at going a bit bigger from my nano marine 36 and have prepared my shopping list. I am just wondering what people think or what they would change :)

Fluval G3 Filter
Hydor Slim Skim Nano or just Slim Skim
Hydor THEO 150W or Hydor THEO 2x 100W
Hydor Koralia Nano 900 Qty 2
Aragalive Fiji Pink 9Kg
Illumagic M-60S or M-90S
Illumagic Pendant System (80CM) If it is Cusom Tank ONLY

Custom Tank 8mm Glass (126L) 800mm(L)x350mm(W)x450mm(H)
or
Of the shelf (169L) 920mm(L)x360mm(W)x510mm(H)

Currently have 9Kg of Live Rock in Nano Marine 36 (Lots...lol)
Will prob add another 10Kg to 15Kg depending on the setup I go for.

So the question is what are peoples thoughts? What should Change???

Nov 15, 2012
Sumpless. Fluval G3 Canister for filtration. Although the 20Kg of Live rock will do the majority of the filtration :)

No room for Sump. It will be sitting on a buffett table and I am only in a unit... If there where small sealed all in one of the shelf simple sumps i might consider it but have not had much luck finding something compact unfortunantly

Buffett table is: http://chocolatewood.com.au/shop/solid-mahogany-prague-2/

Width – 920mm x Depth – 420mm x Height – 900mm

BTW if anyone is looking for good quality cheap hardwood furniture this is the place (if you are local to sydney) and always negotiate. got this new for $350 :)

Nov 15, 2012
OK. Further to my earlier listing the thinking is:

Of the shelf (169L) 920mm(L)x360mm(W)x510mm(H) Dalbarb... (Has anyone used these? are they any good??
Illumagic M-90S CREE Light. Thoughts?
Aragalive Fiji Pink 18Kg ish...
LR 18-20Kg

So With all this in mind as Semi locked in and I can not use a Sump. Is there any good HOB Slim sump systems? Or what other good options are there for Filtration?? Would also be interested on advice in regard to how many Liters to change and frequency with the different filter options.

What do people think of UV filters?

Looking forward to comments :)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
As you can't use a sump, I would look at the AquaClear 110 HOB filter and use an InTank media basket to create a fuge area. Even on 150l it is a pretty beasty unit and would provide decent flow.

Rather than 2x Koralias I would add an mp10 personally, especially as you are going for looks here.

I am not a huge fan of the looks of the Illumagic, I prefer something hung and sleek and sexy like the Radion (see other threads haha). But it is a great quality light and will give you all the PAR you need.

Nov 15, 2012
As you can't use a sump, I would look at the AquaClear 110 HOB filter and use an InTank media basket to create a fuge area. Even on 150l it is a pretty beasty unit and would provide decent flow.

Rather than 2x Koralias I would add an mp10 personally, especially as you are going for looks here.

I am not a huge fan of the looks of the Illumagic, I prefer something hung and sleek and sexy like the Radion (see other threads haha). But it is a great quality light and will give you all the PAR you need.
What is the in tank media basket??

By ditching the canister an MP10 might now be achievable ;)

The thing i did not like about the Radion was i would require a couple... and the fan on the saltwater side... IMO...WTF is up with that... Nice looking light though.

Nov 15, 2012

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
What is the in tank media basket??

By ditching the canister an MP10 might now be achievable ;)

The thing i did not like about the Radion was i would require a couple... and the fan on the saltwater side... IMO...WTF is up with that... Nice looking light though.
Very nicely designed basket to replace the one that comes as standard. One version fits the Tunze 9002 in there also, which when coupled with a square skimmer cup (also sold on the site) looks slick.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/AquaClear-110_c46.htm

[Broken External Image]:http://shop.mediabaskets.com/images/IMG_3449.jpg
[Broken External Image]:http://shop.mediabaskets.com/images/IMG_3466.jpg

Nov 15, 2012
Very nicely designed basket to replace the one that comes as standard. One version fits the Tunze 9002 in there also, which when coupled with a square skimmer cup (also sold on the site) looks slick.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/AquaClear-110_c46.htm
WOW... That is slick...

I have been researching the hell out of these filters but even on the manufacturer website they dont give the freaking dimensions. Does any one have any of these filters they are using? If possible could they provide dimensions please???

The aquarium (Dalbarb one) has a fixed piece of glass in the centre on the top of the tank and I am trying to work out if it will fit on either side of this. and also how deep is the unit as currently there would not be much room but plan on moving it forward to fit but as long as i dont have to move it out to far.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Dimensions for the AC110? Found this: 13 1/2"L X 6 3/4"W X 9"H with 4" of its width behind the tank.

Hope it still fits!

If you are going all out for a slick AIO using this, consider getting or having made locally a surface skimmer for the intake too: http://badfishreefsystems.com/index.html (I prefer the InTank basket, plus this company only makes baskets for the AC70, but the skimmer works for all)
ai53.photobucket.com_albums_g76_TimWiltse_AC70MediaSurfaceSkimmer.jpg

Vid of it in action:

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I ran one on my nano for a little while it worked pretty well, but fiddly. The head floats so it lowers with evap and raises with top ups. It also picks up water from the base and can be adjusted by the center bar the ratio of surface:bottom water it picks up (by screwing it up or down), so it can be somewhat tuned to quieten it down. If that makes sense

Nov 15, 2012
Too wide you mean, or deep?

Maybe look at the AC70 instead ...
So its 13 1/2" from top to bottom?? or is that from pickup tube to the spill way? ie across the front when you look at it?

There is a fixed pane of glass in the middle and a removable one either side. so the tank is 92cm Long and from each edge to the fixed piece it is 25cm (Apparently) so max width would be ~10"

I also liked the Idea of the skimmer inside the HOB so if I go smaller i guess this will no longer work