Reef Discussion

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
It's too wide across the length- i.e. like you said above across the front if you look at it. I have one of these and it just fitted on the side of the tank instead but I had to cut and reglue the flange- I was using it for a minitank whilst I was teaching a mandarin to eat,. There is no way it'll fit on the longer side of the tank because of the fixed glass pane.
You'll have to go the AC 70
otherwise have a look at MTG's journal- i can't remember which tank of his-he got a shmick in tank sump made of acrylic that you can slide in and out MTG

Nov 15, 2012
You'll have to go the AC 70
otherwise have a look at MTG's journal- i can't remember which tank of his-he got a shmick in tank sump made of acrylic that you can slide in and out MTG
I am thinking the AC70.

MTG's Journal Is very good. I had previously had a look but just re visited. that is a sweet little in tank sump. I had gone through the thought process on something similar and now I have re seen it I am considering again.

Damn, after spending time in different stores today and was going to go to a few more tomorrow I thought I was going to buy something, but now back to the drawing board.

Anyway up until 15mins ago, tomorrow I was going to go pick up the tank. was going to go AC70 on 1 side and a reef octopus HOB Skimmer (Super big... but external pump should help keep water temp a little more stable) Cant remember the model but on there website http://www.reefoctopus.com.au/v2/pub/products.cfm?range=5BD0A400-5A21-4D19-8421B3794D00261F I think it is the Module 600 (well looks similar to that but has the sponge thing on the return.)

Has anyone ever used these Reef Octopus skimmers before? Aquariums@Asquith had them for $240

So I figured a good skimmer might be good... Is there a problem with going to big???

Nov 15, 2012
i originaly wanted to make mine removable but couldn't get it to work as planned. it has been siliconed in but could always be removed no dramas

Very nice tank MTG. It was watching one of your videos that made me want to go with illumagic light. Will prob go M-90S Cree.

Is it possible to Over skim? ie if it is too big a unit for your tank?

Reactions: MTG

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Very nice tank MTG. It was watching one of your videos that made me want to go with illumagic light. Will prob go M-90S Cree.

Is it possible to Over skim? ie if it is too big a unit for your tank?
imo yes it is, depends what sort of system, i dont think you can ever have a to bigger skimmer for a fish only or pred tank ! :P

Nov 15, 2012
imo yes it is, depends what sort of system, i dont think you can ever have a to bigger skimmer for a fish only or pred tank ! :p
So if i was to start getting right into Corals I would Dial it down?

Not planning on stocking it to heavily. Will mainly be fish at first but might see if I can get my hands on some frags at some point to see if I can grow corals :)

For a 3' aquarium should I be looking at 2 MP10WES powerheads? or would 1 be sufficent?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
3 foot? i would go 2x mp10's for sure, just buy a quality skimmer from the start and you will have happy days! :D whats your budget for the skimmer? is it 3x2x2

Nov 15, 2012
3 foot? i would go 2x mp10's for sure, just buy a quality skimmer from the start and you will have happy days! :D whats your budget for the skimmer? is it 3x2x2

It is 920mm(L)x360mm(D)x510(H) so I think like 3'x15"x20" at a wild guess. Its a bit late ye olde brain is not working so well :(

Cant seem to find anyone that uses this damn reef octopus. I have seen them running on heaps of tanks in stores and they always have junk in the cup and they amount of tiny bubbles it is making sure looks impressive...

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Those are 30" long? I thought you were limited for size!

Going back a step ... what limitations exactly do you have in terms of size etc?

Nov 15, 2012
Those are 30" long? I thought you were limited for size!

Going back a step ... what limitations exactly do you have in terms of size etc?
So the tank is kind of like this from the top looking down...

------------------------------
| | | |

------------------------------
so in the centre there is a brace from each edge to the brace is ~25cm

So aquaclear 110 no dice. Aquaclear 70 is a go with a protein skimmer on the other side. or something that spans the majority of the tank and can straddle the centre fixed glass.

Starting to think I might just get a 2' tank with no brace, AC110 with tunze skimmer InTank Mod etc... going to be shirt loads easier...

I have been reading your Tank Journal. thats a nice set-up. Love the tank. so try get something like that and do the 110 thing.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
id section park of a corner of it and get like a tunze 9002 or something give you room for the heater bags of carbon, maybe even a reactor and room for surface skimming (like i have done just bigger)

Nov 15, 2012
i.d section park of a corner of it and get like a tunze 9002 or something give you room for the heater bags of carbon, maybe even a reactor and room for surface skimming (like i have done just bigger)
I did like your corner box. It was very sleek.