Reef Discussion

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Nov 15, 2012
Ah got you, I was thinking you could put the HOB on the end but that would only really look good peninsula style.

A custom corner or centre acrylic AIO might work best then. Something like this (though not sure it works on a taller tank, nor fits a skimmer:

Where are these from?

Seriously thinking of changing to your tank and doing a AC110 on that with the InTank mod

Did you get yours from Melb?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
That is from Badfish Reef, same place as the AC skim box.

Which tank of mine are you looking at - this?
alh3.googleusercontent.com__HrnVq8J3k1Q_UIUcO8C6EqI_AAAAAAAAE0fb01f1d87fa3940c74a948d71085e924.jpg

If so, yeah I got it from Upmarket Aquariums, cost was $120 or so I think. Shouldn't be too hard to find one of similar dimensions, though this is low iron glass and braceless which I really wanted.

Nov 15, 2012
OK. So I thought I would Update to this thread.

I purchased the Dalbarb Aquarium... Think I will return it. After lots of research I am changing thoughts on what I really want. Unless someone wants to buy it from me (Make me an offer. Pick up in sydney North)

ok. so it will be a rimless 8mm Glass custom tank 700mm(L)x350mm(D)x450mm(H)
An Eco System Pro Acrylic Hang On 40 for filtration and refuge (also hide heater in there) has a Protein skimmer.
Depending on budget a Ecotech Marine MP10WES for flow
It will be a mixed reef.
Aragalive Fiji Pink sand
And Light well still not sure looking at both XR30W (would love the Pro but $$$) or Illumagic M-60S Cree But the markup on them is ridiculous. have yet to find a reasonable price.

I will DIY a hanging system for Light and also a cover for the tank so no fish jump for dry land. Was thinking a plexiglass cover but still unsure.

Thats my update. I will start a tank journal once I start spending the cash...

malau

Oct 13, 2011
If you need some rocks I have "few" (~ 30-40kgs I guess, which filled 90-100L plastic container) sitting in the water for few months .. some of them will goes to my friend (he still painting his wall so cant keep the rocks atm therefore I have to keep them live). These rocks originally are base rocks then I seeded with my frag tank water so it has some tiny creatures...

have different shapes.
See my ad.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
ok. so it will be a rimless 8mm Glass custom tank 700mm(L)x350mm(D)x450mm(H)
An Eco System Pro Acrylic Hang On 40 for filtration and refuge (also hide heater in there) has a Protein skimmer.
Depending on budget a Ecotech Marine MP10WES for flow
It will be a mixed reef.
Aragalive Fiji Pink sand
And Light well still not sure looking at both XR30W (would love the Pro but $$$) or Illumagic M-60S Cree But the markup on them is ridiculous. have yet to find a reasonable price.

I will DIY a hanging system for Light and also a cover for the tank so no fish jump for dry land. Was thinking a plexiglass cover but still unsure.

Thats my update. I will start a tank journal once I start spending the cash...
Sounds awesome, good call going rimless I think you will like the look so much better. Interested to see how the Eco System goes, looks great but have never seen one in use/reviewed.

I wouldn't go a plexiglass cover, look at netting options.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I guess just do some reading up on pros and cons etc before deciding (which I am sure you would do anyway!).

Just looked up the Eco System HOB on AoA - wow, pricey ... but I guess when you factor in the skimmer and the fact it is your sump basically, it starts becoming a bit more reasonable. And if you are going to do it right ...

Nov 15, 2012
I guess just do some reading up on pros and cons etc before deciding (which I am sure you would do anyway!).

Just looked up the Eco System HOB on AoA - wow, pricey ... but I guess when you factor in the skimmer and the fact it is your sump basically, it starts becoming a bit more reasonable. And if you are going to do it right ...
Yep super pricey but at the end of the day they get great reviews Was actually considering a DIY version but I am not sure. and it will essentially be a sump/refuge all in one. and considering I cant have a below tank one this seems to fit the bill.

Nov 15, 2012
ok. So here is my latest thinking. figure overflow would have sponge, carbon or whatever is required... Compartment 2 is Tunze 9002 with 'InTank' slimline cup, compartment 3 is Hydor Pico 1000 with some Loc-Line fittings

AQ-1.jpg

Nov 15, 2012
OK. Quick update. After much backward and forward and many spreadsheets assesing costs the Missus and I just went and got a RSM 130D. Main reasoning was It suits our needs right now to help us learn more about the hobby, and while we are renting it is something we will easy be able to move should the need arise.

@MTG we did set out to go get a CADE Marine 45 Cube and get the goodies in the back chamber area (More Expensive option). However, when we went to Majestic (NSW Supplier) they had sold 3 Different ones the week before and there are no others in country till sometime in Q1 2013.

So I will start a TJ over the next few days with some pics. Looking into Chillers today. Possibly a Teco with built in heater as well as UV. but not sure yet.

Thanks to everyone for putting up with my questions and querys about something that will not come to light. But I have learnt a lot and as time goes on I will be able to use this to setup another one day soon. :):)

Nov 15, 2012
Good choice in the end I reckon! RSMs are great units. Glad you found the room to make it fit in ;)
Its not bad. Been looking at the mods already... :D

Only just fits. The main aquarium area is on the cabinet bit sits over at the back by 8cm :( not perfect but Figure it should be ok. I hope... Thoughts?

Nov 15, 2012
rsm are great tanks. they were my choice behind the cade :D
I head read a few of your posts and got that impression. Did like the CADE 45 cube but did not want to wait till Q1 next year to get one then have to buy a swag of other items to make it work... plus $$$$$$$

I have started a TJ for this new beast :)