Tank Journal Archive

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
New Spawn - Chromis This Time
Hey all,

Been a while since I updated my Tank Journal. A fair bit has been happening in the back ground, but over the past few months I have noticed that 1 of my Chromis and been growing at a much faster rate than the rest. Last night I found these on the power cord.

(Please ignore the algae and aiptasia - it's something I am getting rid of at the moment ;-) - more to come on this.....)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
So they keep spawning. Without keeping a diary I am going to say every fornight or so. Even caught them in the act one morning but didn't think to video it.

But the spawns are getting larger.

20170615_200326.jpg

(Ignore the algae - got some serious self inflicted issues atm)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
So last night while we were watching TV I noticed one of the smaller ones going to the nest with another - strange the largest one (I assume female) would let them in and she(??) has been very aggresivley guarding the eggs.

This morning I found these

small spawn.JPG

I guess they have run out of room on the power cord so have started on the pump and bracket.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I know this thread is much of the same, but it's getting out of hand now.

Nothing is off limits to these buggers (ignore the floating bits in the water - I had just scrapped the (neglected) glass when I saw some eggs on the cleaner and then flipped it over for a closer look).

Tunze Cleaner.jpg

And 2 powerheads are now full of eggs so I can't clean them.

CaptCrash

Sep 7, 2012
Arn't they Damsels not Chromis (yellow fin damsel ?)

In terms of the eggs, the pro larva will be great for the corals, plus lots of the other fish will pick them off.
As long as the female doesn't get super grumpy, its a great thing.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Yeap
Arn't they Damsels not Chromis (yellow fin damsel ?)

In terms of the eggs, the pro larva will be great for the corals, plus lots of the other fish will pick them off.
As long as the female doesn't get super grumpy, its a great thing.
Yeap - I have since been corrected on the ID.

And yeah I just leave them be. there is only ever 1 fish guarding all the eggs although i believe the spawns belong to several fish.