Tank Journal Archive

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
+++ New stock +++
Picked up a few fish from vpreef
1 Cleaner wrasse, 1 flame hawk, 1 solaris wrasse
Pics to come, but I never saw the Sloaris after it went in the tank.
The Cleaner would be in the wier at least 3 or 4 times a day, the flamehawk 2 times every 3 days. At least the flame is getting better.
In the first 2 days I had to get fish out of the wier 14 times. Crazy crazy stuff.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
23rd Aug 2012

Just a quick update.

Thanks to @Rob for the following new frags. After just 1 day 3 of them seem to be going really well with the forth (in the first pic) yet to come out.

Frag1.JPG

Frag2.JPG

Frag3.JPG

Frag4.JPG

Last edited:

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
1st Mar 2013

I added a Bangaii way back on the 19/01/2013 - a little something for myself to start the New Year. I also had a small Powder Blue Tang on hold at Reeflections, but it passed before I picked it up. The Bangaii has been eating Mysis like a pig but still refuses to eat the pallets. Hopefully in time she'll (a little hard to tell, but I suspect a female) get the idea. For what it's worth here's a shot. I know the rule about cleaning the glass, but I haven't cleaned it in about 2 weeks. I'll try and get a few betters pics by next weekend, including cleaned glass

And last night I picked up a small Powder Blue from Reeflections. I had it in my Ghetto "cage" in a tank to try and help it eat, let the other tangs get used to it, etc. Turns out it constantly tried to get through the bottom to swim down and the other tangs didn't pay it any attention (it is significantly smaller than every other tang in the tank). I decided to bite to bullet and throw it into the DT. I watched it for a good 20 mins and nothing even bothered with it. It's swimming with "the big boys" fine, not showing any signs of wanting to hide, etc. Here's a pic of it, complete with dirty glass. The clowns in the background give you an idea of size.

The spots on the fish aren't actually there - that’s my dirty glass. I have noticed a "tiger like" stripe pattern of lighter blue - I'm assuming this is an indication of a little stress (being added to the DT just now) and hopes it will disappear by night’s end.

It looks very thin in the body, but the stomach seems to bludge a little. Who knows maybe it did eat a bit of the nori whilst in the Ghetto cage for the day. Ernie seems to think all smaller PB's are thin so I'll trust him. Also seems consistent with @Rob PB and his has survived a while.

I dumped a heap of feed into the tank (Vegie mix, brine shrimp and NLS pallets) but it doesn't seem interested in anything as yet. Hopefully it gets the idea in the next few days.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Seems a while since I have updated pretty much anything on my tank Journal.

Anyway, I picked up some new fish recently from a fellow reefer who was shutting down a FOWLR tank.

I added 1 x PJ Cardinal (, 8 x Golden Yellow Chromis (Chromis agilis), 2 x Blue Green Chromis (Chromis viridis) and a Bi Color Goat fish (Parupeneus barberinoides)

Anyway, it's a been a week now and my tank is slowly starting to clear. The goat fish is a non stop sand bed cleaning machine. Here is a very short clip of him (or her??) doing it's thing. You can see the crap in the sand bed that has been accumulating for years - every bot of the sand bed has been turned over and it's not looked as clean for years.

(Sorry I can't seem to embed the video at the moment - any chance of a hand @The Reefuge

https://www.youtube.com/embed/sq-18mHQ0YA

All the other fish seem to be doing great and the first week.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
You must only paste the youtube video link. No need for the embed link.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
T

Thanks @The Reefuge - I was trying to use the little "media" button in the toolbar but it didn't actually do anything. How do I embed the video into the post?

Cheers
By using the media button. It should work. If not, try a different browser as there may be an addon causing a glitch.

Thanks.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Seems a while since I have updated pretty much anything on my tank Journal.

Anyway, I picked up some new fish recently from a fellow reefer who was shutting down a FOWLR tank.

I added 1 x PJ Cardinal (, 8 x Golden Yellow Chromis (Chromis agilis), 2 x Blue Green Chromis (Chromis viridis) and a Bi Color Goat fish (Parupeneus barberinoides)

Anyway, it's a been a week now and my tank is slowly starting to clear. The goat fish is a non stop sand bed cleaning machine. Here is a very short clip of him (or her??) doing it's thing. You can see the crap in the sand bed that has been accumulating for years - every bot of the sand bed has been turned over and it's not looked as clean for years.

(Sorry I can't seem to embed the video at the moment - any chance of a hand @The Reefuge

https://www.youtube.com/embed/sq-18mHQ0YA

All the other fish seem to be doing great and the first week.
That goat fish tears up the sand bed! Awesome addition!

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
@Mattres the sandbed has never looked cleaner. Every square inch has been turned. Not sure what it's doing to the life in the sandbed though :-(

But at the moment it looks 1000% better

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
@Mattres the sandbed has never looked cleaner. Every square inch has been turned. Not sure what it's doing to the life in the sandbed though :-(

But at the moment it looks 1000% better
Haha I'm sure all the life is going through his belly!
Im guessing there would be parts he can't access such as under rocks and such that there'd still be some left.
The turnover of sand can only be a good thing though in our tanks? Saves having to vac the sand!
Do you think he could run out of food or does he take prepared foods?

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Haha I'm sure all the life is going through his belly!
Im guessing there would be parts he can't access such as under rocks and such that there'd still be some left.
The turnover of sand can only be a good thing though in our tanks? Saves having to vac the sand!
Do you think he could run out of food or does he take prepared foods?
Eats pellets like a pig. No issues there. I bought him from a established tank being shut down so he is well trained onto prepared foods.