Reef Discussion

dazzamx

Feb 24, 2015
New Tank
AWESOME.
after being in the new house for 2 years now, the wife has said I can put a small reef tank in the house.
I have some awesome corals up in the shed frag tank and its a shame not to have them on show.
The two tanks I'm looking at are the CADE HL800 and the Red Sea Reefer 250.
What's everyone's take on these tanks, there is not much difference in the price.
Ann I think the sump in the Cade may be a little more usable.
All feedback appreciate.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Fo sho go the CADE lol they both have their positives and their negatives but at the end of the day I adore my CADE and would happily get another one! (That being said I've had no experience with the reefer's).

In all honesty they're both brilliant tanks made by well known companies that produce great products so go with whatever you'd prefer and will earn you more points with the wifey ;) haha

Cb2

Mar 15, 2014
Both great quality tanks. You're right about the reefer sump not as usable as the cade sump. Positives I like about the reefer is the height, extra space in the cabinet to store other reefing equipment, selection of cabinet colour and the silent plumbing.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
You've really got to go view them set up in a shop and see which one you like more.

I recall the Reefer has black silicon? The black silicon is a very different look from the opaque clear silicon. I had a Juwel tank with the black silicon and I really liked it.

I'd really think about the width of the Reefer and whether you want that extra 10cm the CADE gives.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
+1 for go and look at them. Marketing are very good at taking pictures...

Keep in mind a custom build too, get exactly what you want the first time that way ;)

dazzamx

Feb 24, 2015
Would love to look at them both, but no one carries Cade tanks up here in Cairns.
Have had a look at the reefer 170 as it's the only one on Display around here.
So the only way I can see a CADE is on the web.
I thought about customer tank as well, but as is the aquarium trade up here finding a good tank builders is like hens teeth.
Even thought about getting Starfier tanks to make me up a sump and tank. But at the end of the day what ever way I go except for a Red Sea reefer. It will have to come from down south.

Last edited:

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
if no one stocks them locally, I would be reluctant to purchase. You want something that you can see, touch and smell (if your that way inclined...) but more importantly, you want someone that has spares on hand should something go wrong.

dazzamx

Feb 24, 2015
Yeah I know what your saying.
Living up here in Cairns has it drawbacks some times.
Like the amount of reef fish and coral that comes out of Caiarns for the aquarium trade, and that's a lot. You would think Cairns would have an aquarium shop on every corner selling marine live stock and supplies. But we don't.
The only place up here is Cairns Marine.
It makes things very difficult sometimes living up here.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
yeah fair enough. Well, I know some may consider it extreme - but in today's day and age of cheap flights, would it be worth a day trip to Brisbane or somewhere else to check out a couple stores that have either or both in stock? In the scheme of buying a ready made tank the day trip is a drop in the ocean (pun intended), plus a fun day out!

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I agree with a trip to Brissy.

But, at the end of the day, if you end up settling for the Reefer, never having seen a CADE, you are most likely going to be very very happy with it.

dazzamx

Feb 24, 2015
Stopped in at Cairns Marine yesterday to have a good look at the Reefer.
In the show room they showed me another tank they had set up, it was the new model Aquareef 395 marine tank made by Aquaone, Comes as complete package or you can just get tank and sump with stand and light hanger if you don't want complete set up.
Tank was finished of nicly with black silicon and beveled edge glass, the sump is a good size and also gas RO water top up Bullit into it.
Stand was very nice and the thing I liked is that all panels are magneticly held in place and can be removed any time for easy access to the sump..
So now it a toss up between the reefer and the Aquareef.
This the Aquareef

Attachments