Off-Topic

eventingpony

Jun 25, 2012
Thanks for the trouble you have gone to to do up the diagram for me!

One help is the two side cabinets with the doors actually have no back panel on the cabinet, so easy to pass any plumbing etc through there.
By looking at the dimensions of the cabinet today looks like I could fit a sump approx 2 x 1 foot (60 x 30cm), height it not an issue.
I was also looking at the design of the tank rim, and think that with a bit of careful prying/cutting I will be able to remove the back of the rim from the tank, and then would be able to run an overflow box in the back corner of the tank.

Back to the RO/DI units - I think this is almost going to be a necessary thing. Do they need to be plumbed into the house - in a rental at the moment. And I think I should have understood this by now, but my brain won't function properly.. Do you need to leave them running into storage, or do you simply turn the tap on to get water at any time?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Plenty of RO/DI units can be hooked up to the same tap your washing machine is on. You just pull a lever handle around and the RO/DI unit starts up. When you don't need it, you turn the handle back to stop the flow. Easy to self install. Places like PSI will make sure you have the gear you need to get it to connect. I rent, have it in the laundry. Finding somewhere to sit the unit is a bigger issue than getting water to it :)

eventingpony

Jun 25, 2012
I will get better spacing calculations tomorrow if required, but the width is approx 31-32cm and depth is 60 - same as the tank depth.

Budget... well it cost what it costs, I want to set it up well so that it can be a functional and healthy reef system. I would like to avoid spending on the unnecessary, paying more for bigger systems when it is not required, or brand names just for the sake of it. But I am sure this is the same for most people!

And I am all in for the reality tv show, although I don't really have a LFS to take you to, There is a pet store that has a reasonable freshwater setup, and then you have petbarn... :P
I might be able to help with the cook-off, not sure I am much help with anything else!

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I will get better spacing calculations tomorrow if required, but the width is approx 31-32cm and depth is 60 - same as the tank depth.

Budget... well it cost what it costs, I want to set it up well so that it can be a functional and healthy reef system. I would like to avoid spending on the unnecessary, paying more for bigger systems when it is not required, or brand names just for the sake of it. But I am sure this is the same for most people!

And I am all in for the reality tv show, although I don't really have a LFS to take you to, There is a pet store that has a reasonable freshwater setup, and then you have petbarn... :p
I might be able to help with the cook-off, not sure I am much help with anything else!
Hahaha, it's all good. Plenty of DIY oriented folks round here into saving cash, and plenty of us don't have anywhere local for livestock. :)

eventingpony

Jun 25, 2012
Plenty of RO/DI units can be hooked up to the same tap your washing machine is on. You just pull a lever handle around and the RO/DI unit starts up. When you don't need it, you turn the handle back to stop the flow. Easy to self install. Places like PSI will make sure you have the gear you need to get it to connect. I rent, have it in the laundry. Finding somewhere to sit the unit is a bigger issue than getting water to it :)
Ah fantastic!! My Laundry is also my garage/storage room, so thankfully finding somewhere for it to sit should be the least of my worries!
Will look into pricing for RO/DI units, would I need a particular size, or anything else I should look out for?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Ah fantastic!! My Laundry is also my garage/storage room, so thankfully finding somewhere for it to sit should be the least of my worries!
Will look into pricing for RO/DI units, would I need a particular size, or anything else I should look out for?
If you find a source that knows what they're doing, then they can advise you on size. Most people wind up with units that do about 200 litres a day. PSI Filters are considered by a lot of people to be the place to go, but there are some other folks here will recommend other places as well. I've only used PSI and was happy with the deal, so I can't comment on anyone else - info at http://www.thereefuge.com.au/board/...om-psi-water-filters-ro-di-water-filters.322/

V

'vspec'

I would call a RO or RO/DI system a neccesity on a reef tank. I tried without it for a while and "brown" takes over the tank!

I can supply you a system that is top quality for cheaper than anywhere else you are likely to find! For a 4 stage manual shut off system you are looking at $190 plus shipping. Send me a pm if you are interested and I will give you the full specs.
Indulge us if you want VaultBoy ~ I'm interested In this as well.
Your fast becoming the H2O guru round here bud and this is her study thread, so why not let loose on the info front. ;)

I love it ~ almost like a RO-OFF @ the OK Corral:confused:

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Do you need to leave them running into storage, or do you simply turn the tap on to get water at any time?
It depends on your water pressure, but these don't work quickly - it takes me about 1 hour to producer 25 litres of RO/DI water. I run mine for a few hours each week to fill up my 2 x 25l drums. And, you end up with an equivalent amount of waste water which is good for watering the garden.

eventingpony

Jun 25, 2012
So after running it for a long time to start up the tank, sounds like I would just need to keep a large storage container filled to do top ups with. :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
So after running it for a long time to start up the tank, sounds like I would just need to keep a large storage container filled to do top ups with. :)
Now you are getting the hang of it ;) You are absolutely, 100%, correct :p Don't forget the bottle in the fridge to drink.

eventingpony

Jun 25, 2012
:P We will all have a good laugh at me by the time this is over and the tank has water in it.. May take till Christmas, but it will happen.

Think I will have to have a go at removing the back section of the tank rim on the weekend, seeing as I have no experience with marine tanks, I don't really want to be drilling holes into it, and if I can get this rim off I can use an overflow box. (unless I have got confused along the researching line somewhere)

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
So now Im a guru?!?! :confused:

I wrote an article in the wiki with a bit of detail on what an RO system and why you should have one. Click here if you are interested.

4 Stage RODI system suitable for marine and freshwater aquariums
Consisting of 1micron sediment filter, kx 5micron carbon block, genuine DOW filmtec 50GPD RO membrane and a refillable DI resin post filter. Fully assembled and ready to connect to a laundry tap. $190 + $30 for shipping.

This is a manual system and you will have to shut it off when you are done filling your drums...

I use an automatic system where I have a storage tank (~10L) under my sink and an automatic shutoff valve which turns off the incoming water supply when the tank is full. I also have a second outlet before the DI section that runs through a mineraliser which (believe it or not :rolleyes) adds minerals to the water producing the nicest tasting drinking water I have had. For me to build one of these for someone would be about $450 plus shipping which I would have to get a price as it would have to be sent it 2 parts but shouldnt be too much.

In short I can build whatever you want and connect it to whatever you want.... Within reason!

V

'vspec'

In short I can build whatever you want and connect it to whatever you want.... Within reason!
Why yes, yes you are :)

And I'm glad you put that last bit in, I could have had a field day..haha

Thanks for your time bud.

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Can you build one for our ocean, please? God hasn't got round to it yet and the landlords are a bit slack with their water husbandry.....

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
:p We will all have a good laugh at me by the time this is over and the tank has water in it.. May take till Christmas, but it will happen.
Don't worry, my tank arrived in the country in September 2010 and I'm finally moving it from my garage floor to my house this weekend.

Think I will have to have a go at removing the back section of the tank rim on the weekend, seeing as I have no experience with marine tanks, I don't really want to be drilling holes into it, and if I can get this rim off I can use an overflow box. (unless I have got confused along the researching line somewhere)
I'd go with the drilled hole and glass weir like I described. Plastic overflow boxes are far from reliable and many people have had flood mishaps as a result of them.

V

'vspec'

Can you build one for our ocean, please? God hasn't got round to it yet and the landlords are a bit slack with their water husbandry.....
Yeah he did, he got us 3/4 the way home, the currents whisk it away and pool it into floating islands of sh^t. ~ Landlords are to busy killing and raping each other to build machine to collect it and sell it back to coke for pet bottles.

eventingpony

Jun 25, 2012
Thanks everyone for the help so far! I have decided that my jumping in and buying this tank without much thought has really thrown things off for me.

What I have decided to do is turn this tank into a community freshwater tank like I used to have as a kid. What I will be doing is putting away money from each pay towards my 'reef dream' so that I can do it properly from the start.

What I would ideally like to have is a 6ft living reef with fish.
Could anyone give me a bit of an idea exactly how much I will need to have put aside to set this up?
I don't want to start a reef in this tank and not do it properly, so it will have to wait. It may be 12 months, it may be more - but I will get that reef one day! :D

I cant thank everyone here enough for the help they have given me and how friendly everyone has been!