Off-Topic

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
As a very rough guide play on about $1,000 per foot of length. Remember tho this is a very rough guide. It's quite easy, albeit time consuming, to work out a rough cost by looking at what others have in their own similar sized tanks in the tank journals section, and finding these online and getting a price from there :)

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Thanks everyone for the help so far! I have decided that my jumping in and buying this tank without much thought has really thrown things off for me.

What I have decided to do is turn this tank into a community freshwater tank like I used to have as a kid. What I will be doing is putting away money from each pay towards my 'reef dream' so that I can do it properly from the start.

What I would ideally like to have is a 6ft living reef with fish.
Could anyone give me a bit of an idea exactly how much I will need to have put aside to set this up?
I don't want to start a reef in this tank and not do it properly, so it will have to wait. It may be 12 months, it may be more - but I will get that reef one day! :D

I cant thank everyone here enough for the help they have given me and how friendly everyone has been!

Good on you for listening and taking it all on board!! In the marine hobby, patience is a decided virtue. We have all been there with the "OMG, look at those fish and corals. I must have NOOOOWWWW!!!" and lived to regret it (usually the fish and corals didn't live at all but probably also regretted it :()
Its very hard to be patient and to put in the planning and thought that's required for a marine tank - probably why so many people quit early on - so kudos to you for choosing to wait. Like me, you'll have to reef vicariously through other people's tank journals but you'll learn heaps and when you are finally ready to jump in, you'll know exactly what you're doing and what you're in for.
Gold stars to you!! :)

eventingpony

Jun 25, 2012
Thanks guys, I thought I was going to be shot down for giving up so quickly... But I don't want to get everything set up if I am not doing it right, and i know I can make a beautiful freshwater display in the meantime to keep my tank full and the fish in my life. :)

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Thanks guys, I thought I was going to be shot down for giving up so quickly... But I don't want to get everything set up if I am not doing it right, and i know I can make a beautiful freshwater display in the meantime to keep my tank full and the fish in my life. :)
Nah, you wont get that here. We's nice peoples :D
We want you to succeed because we want our hobby overall to succeed. Only small people flame/abuse newbies just to make themselves look more knowledgeable.
I know that personally, I'd rather tell you to wait and support you in that than rag you into doing something that will result in you failing and the animals dying. No joy in that :(
Take your time, ask whatever questions you need to and if we don't know the answer, someone will help you find it out and share it with the rest of us. Coz that's how we roll. :cool: