Reef Discussion

jack2

Jul 28, 2011
sydney
New to the hobby
hey everyone, my names jack. i am new to the hobby and would like some help regarding lighting. how many leds would i need over a 3 foot tank. it is also 2 foot wide.
thankyou

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hi Jack :welcome.

This will be the subject in the next instalment of my DIY LED series :)

A bit more info would help. Is this a DIY build? How deep is your tank? What are you planning on keeping - softies, LPS, SPS?

jack2

Jul 28, 2011
sydney
hi magic thanks for the prompt reply. i will wait eagerly for this diy post you are talking about. when do you think it will be ready i would love to get some ideas. what do you mean by how deep is my tank? and what exactly is the difference between lps,sps,softies? is there a setup that will keep a variety of coral?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
hi magic thanks for the prompt reply. i will wait eagerly for this diy post you are talking about. when do you think it will be ready i would love to get some ideas. what do you mean by how deep is my tank? and what exactly is the difference between lps,sps,softies? is there a setup that will keep a variety of coral?
Next post should be up by Saturday night, hopefully.

Your tank is 3ft long and 2ft front to back - how high is it from top to bottom? Or, when you stick you arm in how much gets wet :)

Softies - leather corals, mushrooms, zoa's etc
LPS - Large Polyp Stony corals
SPS - Small Polyp Stony corals

If you do a Google search on these you will get some ideas of what I am talking about.

jack2

Jul 28, 2011
sydney
around 2 foot deep. although the water wouldnt be that deep after the substrate.
thanks for that information i will be waiting for this diy