Tank Journal Archive

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
New Upgrade & Build Begins.
Ok,
I don't know why really, but I suppose the fish & corals need more room. The current tank has filled quickly.
The fish are growing fast and we are selling corals right left and center to create room. We thought it would tank forever to fill this tank, but it appears we are slightly more addicted than we thought.

This will be a much harder upgrade than the last. , the tanks were in different spots in the house. Easy to set up and move over.
This time, new tank is going in the same place as the old. Not easy at all.

So we are going to a new 8 x 4 x 2.2.Star-Fire Peninsular

The build is taking some time to plan so we have requested a start date of mid January to give us time to work on the logistics.
It was recommended by more than one builder to have it built in our home as it is too large to easily transport & lift. So this is what we will do.

Have been given some great ideas on how to move this current tank, so working through those at the moment.

We actually taped the new tank out around the old tank on the floor last night, and wow this is going to be some bloody move.
The white tape is the new tank (little hard to see on tiles) , and clearly you can see the current tank in the pics.

So Tank Journal no 3 will begin soon. EEEEK.

IMG_1277.JPG

Oct 17, 2015
Two words lesley " your nucking futs "
Please be a doll and update regularly as this I feel will be epic

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
If my mate was still flying in the Air Force, I'd be there to help out. You'd just have to come fetch me from the airport, lol. I can drive on the OTHER side of the road, but it's been a long time since I've done it. I'd be all over the news. Some dumb ass Yank is here driving like he's home, tape at 11. :D

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Wow, this was some unexpected news. Very cool. I have been really busy with non-reefing stuff for a few months with no time to check up on the forum, so very glad to hear that your tank has been thriving, to the point you need more space! Going to be amazing.

Going to use your current DT as the new sump? :p Looking forward to watching your progress.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Wow, this was some unexpected news. Very cool. I have been really busy with non-reefing stuff for a few months with no time to check up on the forum, so very glad to hear that your tank has been thriving, to the point you need more space! Going to be amazing.

Going to use your current DT as the new sump? :p Looking forward to watching your progress.
No new sump. Person that purchased tank wants whole package including sump. I also think that if we were to use tank as a sump it would be one of the most expensive star fire sumps around. We can't afford not to sell I am afraid. New tank is well over budget already - didn't anticipate the price of 15mm starfire eeeeek !

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
You and you tangs, lol.

Do you have an equipment list worked out yet or a running method
Hi.

We have not purchased anything yet but certainly have been working on whats needed.
Its very unfortunate that the tank is soooo over budget that a couple of the things will have to be purchased little further down the track , but thats ok.

We have been advised to go closed loop on a tank this size, so we are at the planning stage for that at the moment. We will be doing it, its just a matter of how many holes an pumps we need.
We are thinking 3 inlets and 9 outlets strategically placed around the tank (hidden by the scape as best we can) run by either 2 or 3 of the new Vectra DC 11,600ltr/hr pumps that are specially designed for this use with some amazing controllable features.

We will be purchasing another ATI 8 x 80w to run alongside our existing one. Our current one lights 2.5 feet without issue so hoping a second alongside will do the job easily on the 4 foot width.

Also chosen another Deltec Skimmer - SC2560 rated up to 3000lts. This is one purchase that will have to wait a while. We have been advised by some very exp. reefers that our current skimmer should do the job as long as our bio-load doesn't increase much more until new one can be purchased. Our current skimmer is rated to 1700lt and we have never had any nitrate issues so just because water volume has increase the bio load shouldn't for a while anyways.

We have designed the new sump a little differently, it will still be 6 x 2.5 x 2 but will only have 3 or 4 chambers instead of the 5 this one has. We want a big section in the middle this time instead of tiny sections.

We are speaking to the engineering company about the rating need for the stand (they built our last one ) and will follow their recommendations of this as very happy indeed with the work they did last time.

We are at the moment trying to plan the move of this one to the other side of the room. We have had some great ideas, and if they work and that goes well then the build will start mid Jan.

Hope this all makes sense, haven't had my morning coffee yet, brain doesn't work so well without it.

Oct 17, 2015
Hi.

We have not purchased anything yet but certainly have been working on whats needed.
Its very unfortunate that the tank is soooo over budget that a couple of the things will have to be purchased little further down the track , but thats ok.

We have been advised to go closed loop on a tank this size, so we are at the planning stage for that at the moment. We will be doing it, its just a matter of how many holes an pumps we need.
We are thinking 3 inlets and 9 outlets strategically placed around the tank (hidden by the scape as best we can) run by either 2 or 3 of the new Vectra DC 11,600ltr/hr pumps that are specially designed for this use with some amazing controllable features.

I'd love to do this on one of my tanks but the thought of all that water been held in my tank by nothing more than a pump seal freaks me out a little

We will be purchasing another ATI 8 x 80w to run alongside our existing one. Our current one lights 2.5 feet without issue so hoping a second alongside will do the job easily on the 4 foot width.

Although I agree the ATI are fantastic units and t5 in themselves are fantastic for both growth and colour, have you considered looking into a diy led fixture, that way you could get the best of everything with less running costs, and can all be controlled via an arduino running an adapted sketch. Just by adding more channels,

Also chosen another Deltec Skimmer - SC2560 rated up to 3000lts. This is one purchase that will have to wait a while. We have been advised by some very exp. reefers that our current skimmer should do the job as long as our bio-load doesn't increase much more until new one can be purchased. Our current skimmer is rated to 1700lt and we have never had any nitrate issues so just because water volume has increase the bio load shouldn't for a while anyways.

We have designed the new sump a little differently, it will still be 6 x 2.5 x 2 but will only have 3 or 4 chambers instead of the 5 this one has. We want a big section in the middle this time instead of tiny sections.

That is just mahoosive,

We are speaking to the engineering company about the rating need for the stand (they built our last one ) and will follow their recommendations of this as very happy indeed with the work they did last time.

We are at the moment trying to plan the move of this one to the other side of the room. We have had some great ideas, and if they work and that goes well then the build will start mid Jan.

I'd still lean towards the ibc, that way you can put it out of the way and get the old tank moved too,

Hope this all makes sense, haven't had my morning coffee yet, brain doesn't work so well without it.

Ziggy

Jul 6, 2015
Adelaide
Oh my gosh! This new tank is going to be epic! So looking forward to seeing the build and its development. Very excited for you :)