Off-Topic

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Ningaloo
Who's been here and did you stay in Exmouth or Coral Bay? Veering towards the latter

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
We go every year. Sometimes twice! Scuba or snorkelling. Exmouth has more variety of both, also better facilities, ie food, shops etc. coral bay is only an hour down the road though.
Keep in mind that if you camp on the west of the range (coral bay and one or two other spots near exmouth) if there is a sea breeze, it is hard to get out for a snorkel. Exmouth is on the west of the cape so you have north, east and west facing beaches to go to!

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Oh, I forgot. The whole cape was just flooded so access will be limited onto some beaches. Roads in town have even been washed away! DEC are not sure if they will reopen some spots so fish stocks get better.. Best snorkels for mind are Oyster Stacks (mix sps, lps and clams), don't step on the clams on the way to the water, turquoise bay, sps and a beautiful bay to lounge in/on, VERY STRONG CURRENT on the snorkel, only good swimmers to do this as people have died, and if the wind is up Bundigie beach, go ten to fifteen mins walk north of north car park for sps, lips and others. You will see a mix of pelagics, sharks, turtles, also nice tank fish at all these spots.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
We have only snorkelled by ourselves, ie wife, two kids, father in law etc. There is a heap of nice shore based snorkels and all are relatively shallow, lees than 5ms. From what I have heard it is similar to the barrier reef's snorkels that you need a boat to get to in comparrison. But I need to get there to compare first! ;-)
If you can get your hands on a boat there are a myriad of bommies to snorkel on the inside of the reef. Again, all fairly shallow, under 10m.
I have scuba dived the pier and the Murion Islands which was freaking awesome! There was soooo much to see of everything fish and coral wise on the islands. The pier was a brilliant if not a bit wierd. It is under a jetty that used to belong to the us navy. Now abandoned there is mainly pelagics and larger fish using the structure as a rest stop. Its also a no fishing zone. Is also a world recognised world class dive apparently.
All the dive shops weather in coral bay or exmouth charge a bit for thier dives as they are the only way to dive the good spots.... and they know it.
If you need any other info I will let you know. I am also going to post a few pics of my last visit in my journal soon so stay posted!

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Miss read your question. Exmouth dive centre on Payne st. They have 4 boats from memory. And they go everywhere. Good mob