Reef Discussion

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
"ninja Block" Tank Monitor, Automater And More
Hi Everyone,

I have been asked to create a basic set of instructions on how to setup a "Ninja Block" as a basic, well advanced really, tank monitor, controller and auto mater.

What is a ninja block? Check out this video:

First thing you need to do, go to their website, have a look at the products http://ninjablocks.com/ This is what I would recommend you buy:|
Ninja block $200
Extra temp/humidity sensor $15
2 Temperature probes: $5
Wireless button (maybe 4?) $24
Remote control socket set (1 or 2) $30-$60
Then lastly off ebay or anywhere, some float switches (grab a good 10, they are cheap) http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Tank...Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item5aef9d5395

OK, your ninja just arrived in the mail!!! Follow this video in order to setup it up and get it connected to the web and your devices:

Now you have it paired and talking to the net, your going to want to play with the sensors and create a basic rule. This video is a good guide for this (personally I would ignore the 'apps' part, I don't use them yet) This example rule uses a wireless button to activate a power outlet:

Here we get a little more advanced with the rules:

This video is a good example of the wireless temp sensor setup:
I find that example a perfect one for applying to your tank. Very simple to get it to turn a outlet on (a fan, heater, etc.) or send you a text or email as a warning.

This video shows you how to setup the "watts-clever" powered outlets. Very simple and incredibly expandable:

OK - temperature is probably one of the top two things we want to monitor with the ninja block, but water level is the next. This is done by "hacking" the wireless buttons. Don't worry, its very easy. You can have them with exposed wires for a leak detector (as per the link below). Or just connect to a float switch if you want to physically mount in the tank.
http://ninjablocks.com/blogs/how-to/7327370-creating-a-wireless-water-sensor

I'll expand onto this as people have more questions.

Regards,
Sam

hoangii

Feb 2, 2013
Footscray
Thanks Sam. Very comprehensive and it's getting me pumped Tu get started on this project .

Does the unit. Have WiFi dongle already our do we need to buy it separately?

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
thanks so much for this Sam... guys if you're interested in a group buy ill put out an EOI and then ill go to the companies and see what we can do but would be keen to see how many people are interested

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
put my name down @leodb89
x1 ninja block
Extra temp/humidity sensor
x2 Temperature probes
x4 Wireless button
x2 Remote control socket set
dont give me the finer details just yet lol just would like to see resopnses from those interested we will keep this thread as a ninja thread the ill open a separate for the group buy

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Totes forgot to mention that the SMS service on the ninja block is totally free. Yep, FREE! Compared to the GHL profilux sms module that costs the same as the entire ninja block, there is actually no on going recharge or service fees. Just uses your internet :)

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Just finished mocking up my float switches. They have been sitting in the package they came in for a few months, so thank you all for the inspiration! I got a couple of different types of floats and also flipped the magnet around on a couple so they work the opposite direction.
Now to pop one in the skimmer cup, and a couple in the rear section of my red sea max :)
photo.jpeg

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
here is one more, it's of my 'dashboard' you can see the house temp and the tank temp, once the tank temp got high enough (pretty warm in our house today, didn't close the curtains or anything!), the fan kicked on and cooled the tank down nicely.

You can also see I've loaded in my float switches and had been playing with a few of them. I also have a usb web cam attached, but it just shows my lounge/entrance (if the front door is triggered during hours we are at work, it takes a picture of who came in and emails it to me :) )
Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 7.10.32 pm.png

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
here is one more, it's of my 'dashboard' you can see the house temp and the tank temp, once the tank temp got high enough (pretty warm in our house today, didn't close the curtains or anything!), the fan kicked on and cooled the tank down nicely.

You can also see I've loaded in my float switches and had been playing with a few of them. I also have a usb web cam attached, but it just shows my lounge/entrance (if the front door is triggered during hours we are at work, it takes a picture of who came in and emails it to me :) )View attachment 20472
That is so awesome - particularly the webcam features. I'll definitely be hooking up some of those. A video cam feed would be good while you're away too.

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
Sam this is awesome my man.... just awesome. I am bummed that i have already purchased the ninja and extras last night after getting pumped up reading your messages. Now just waiting for the mail man.
I will however be reading through you notes and getting what ever i can done as soon as they arrive.
Thanks again mate
P.S - How do you fix those floats switches to your sump? Magnets? The ones on EBAY didn't seem to have magnets?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
The float switches can be mounted on a bit of acrylic or plastic bent to shape. Unless you already have something (a skimmer bracket or something) that you can use.If you need help with your particular setup, let me know - I can always design and print up a suitable bracket on the 3D printer :)

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
I'm still filling the tank with RO water and get the Sump next week so i will begin cycling in a month or so. In the meantime getting small things done so it would be fantastic to continue to pick your brain. You seem well and truly on top of things. much appreciated

hoangii

Feb 2, 2013
Footscray
The float switches can be mounted on a bit of acrylic or plastic bent to shape. Unless you already have something (a skimmer bracket or something) that you can use.If you need help with your particular setup, let me know - I can always design and print up a suitable bracket on the 3D printer :)
This is looking like an awesome diy aquarium monitoring system. Im getting excited to start this thing too. Could you perhaps look at mass producing some the brackets who are keen to hook this system up too @Sam Parker. i would love one and maybe i can pay for your time and effort =D