Reef Discussion

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
@Joele - very easy to add a float at the bottom of your top off that either sends you a text message (via the ninja block) as a reminder to top off, or opens a solenoid for your RODI system to function and therefore fill the reservoir again :)

Neillw

Sep 26, 2013
haha yeah, I wont be relying on that totally. Have been measuring house temp and humidity too, just to see how it reacts. Have been toying with the idea of using a c02 bulb as a chiller instead. Been used in the performance industry for a little while, cant see why it wouldn't work the same in an aquarium?
Controllable chiller that takes up very little room, uses next to no electricity and would have plenty of power... Could be interesting :)
Awesome idea Sam, you should totally do it.

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
OK going to be hated here now, but I cancelled my ninja block which wasn't due to be shipped until late December (despite my ordering before their web site had said the November cutoff was reached)..

I just can't justify the cost (need cash elsewhere at the moment) and as I have researched Adruino more and have one now, I realized how much I could do with a $20 Arduino Mega (compatible) and Ethernet shield, directly interface with mysql database on my NAS.. Will start up new thread on that when I get it done and share the source code.Will switch to sen.se in the long term, once I can get an invite or they open to public.

Last edited:

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
No hate here mate! Gotta do what you gotta do. The two are kinda compatible anyway, so I'm sure we can continue to develop stuff anyway :)

Neillw

Sep 26, 2013
Got to say they were very quick to refund.. Bought one of these 3d printers which I think will come in handy and damn cheap, hope they are OK...

https://store.makibox.com/#/product-detail?type=1&&option=31

I understand they may take a while to arrive, but no super rush.. more interested in getting the arduino stuff done first once my sensors and ethernet shield arrive..
Hate to say it but that is a PLA printer - not much good for functional aquarium parts (PLA is made from corn starch and will breakdown in water)

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
Well that sux, though didn't really intend on printing aquarium parts so much... Funny I looked at some ABS vs PLA information and didn't see that, though PVA is water soluble. They do have a heated tray version for $100 more to do ABS, will inquire about updating my order..

I did find this link below but only says "PLA can react with water at high temperatures"

http://www.protoparadigm.com/blog/2013/01/the-difference-between-abs-and-pla-for-3d-printing/

Makerbot are dissolving it here but not with water?

http://www.makerbot.com/blog/2010/10/19/pla-proven-as-a-dissolveable-support-material/

Last edited:

Neillw

Sep 26, 2013
Well that sux, though didn't really intend on printing aquarium parts so much... Funny I looked at some ABS vs PLA information and didn't see that, though PVA is water soluble. They do have a heated tray version for $100 more to do ABS, will inquire about updating my order..

I did find this link below but only says "PLA can react with water at high temperatures"

http://www.protoparadigm.com/blog/2013/01/the-difference-between-abs-and-pla-for-3d-printing/
Awesome,
Things to watch for are:
Many colored ABS filaments contain pigments that are toxic to a tank, stick to a reputable source of 'natural' (white) ABS

Get the wrong one (color) and it will kill everything in your tank (one ABS spool I tried on my test tank resulted in 20 dead bristle worms 5 hours later)
Keep walls over .8mm thick with 100% infill to keep things watertight

I recommend washing and soaking the parts before use, most ABS printers produce fine plastic particles which might not play nice with things in your tank. I normally soak the parts for a few weeks before use to wash away any water solvable nastiness from the surface of the plastic.
Avoid PLA, I can confirm - I tested it out of interest and it will break down in saltwater (it is made using corn starch after all
awww.nano_reef.com_public_style_emoticons_default_cool.png
)

Last edited:

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
Avoid PLA, I can confirm - I tested it out of interest and it will break down in saltwater (it is made using corn starch after all
awww.nano_reef.com_public_style_emoticons_default_cool.png
)
Ahh ok thanks for that, being biodegradable that does make sense, I will have to think on it, the only actual inside tank parts I was planning is to hold float switches, for that in all honesty I can just cut up the huge 6mm perspex sheet I have in the garage, will not be display visible as in sump anyway..

I need to decide if aquarium parts are something I need; otherwise I just wanted to use to make some (non impact) small pinball machine parts (seen a few good ideas), boxes and mounts for small light electronics and lots of novelty prints etc etc For $200 (and $43 shipping to Australia) it is almost a toy itself ;-)

joey13

Dec 1, 2013
I haven't read through this entire thing but wow!!!

From what I have read I gather that this system can be used to either switch on your heater or chiller and circ pump depending on the tank temp? That's what I would be interested in doing. Or would there be a better way?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
It can yes, would I trust it for either of those critical functions - no. At the moment, the ruling system is still cloud based. So if it turned your heater on and then your internet went off - your fish could be cooked...
I prefer to think of it as a monitor that can do some other non-critical functions.

However - they are working on local based rules, which in my opinion would make the system pretty robust to handle critical functions :)

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
The device comes with both wired ethernet and a usb wireless adapter. Included FREE :)
Just received mine in the post and Didn't come with you USB wireless adapter unfortunately. :(
Not sure if this was a mistake from their end, i am on their website checking.
Also had issues with the serial number but got it all worked out

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Neither did mine, then I asked what USB ones work and they said the one included! So they sent me one out. Email them mate, they will send you one out.
Sam

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Made this the other night (I promise its not a bomb!). It takes 433mhz signal from ninja block, then "presses" the on/off button on this universal air con remote control.
bomb.JPG

Can now set rules in place to switch the air con on in the house if temp gets too high. Also made another one so I can open the garage door via the web (got locked out the other day.....)

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
na wired in. Just a 433mhz relay that is connected to the contacts of the power button. I think its pretty neat switching the aircon on from work 30mins before coming home so the house is nice and comfortable :)

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
Neither did mine, then I asked what USB ones work and they said the one included! So they sent me one out. Email them mate, they will send you one out.
Sam
Mine did come with the USB wireless adapter already plugged in. I am still having trouble getting it to work however, it does not seem to want to recognise the USB ???