Reef Discussion

Noel Holmes

Nov 11, 2014
Sam:

Came across this thread looking for things for my son and me to do with my NB. GREAT stuff. Just what I've been needing for my tanks.

Couple o' questions...
- were you able to order the temp probe from NB? They're out of stock and I can't find anything saying what probe is compatible with their included thermostat.
- Are you still using NB for monitoring - and more? Any updates?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Hi Noel,

I am still using the ninja block and it is working well. I don't use it to controll anything as such, but more monitor and alarm. That being said, I do use it for more than just my fish tanks! Well actually, I do use it to controll a few things - can feed fish from anywhere via my phone and can switch the house aircon on or off from my phone as well, pretty handy. I added a control for my garage door so I don't need to take keys with me when I go out and I have set up a few other intergrations with the IFTTT web service and also my pebble smart watch. Plus it is my entire home security system and works a treat. On my tanks it monitors temps (doesnt control, just monitors), watch out for leaks, notifies if skimmer cup is full and of course gives a neat interface for a web cam of the tank too. My next project with the ninja is to monitor when the cool breeze comes in here (we get a fresh ocean southerly breeze most summer afternoons from about 3pm) and open a couple of house windows to cool the place down. Just need to hook up some actuators to one or two windows, and build a rule. Although it would be neat if I made a wind direction sensor as well as relying on outside temperature alone could be a bit short sighted. Thinking along the lines of:

If rule is turned on
if between 3pm and 8pm
if window is closed
if (inside temp - outside temp) >= 4
then
open windows

The new ninja block sphere is about to be shipped, that offers a whole host of new features including local (non cloud) based rules which would really open up the possibility of controlling parts of your tank (dont want to controll heater operation when your internet goes down....)

Let me know if you have any questions!
Sam