Reef Discussion

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Might be a little late to chine in, but there is no need for "snake oil in a bottle".

1. Let your tank cycle and mature properly. 4 weeks is a guideline, the day after you get 0's doesn't mean start piling the stock in - the longer you leave it the better the micro fauna, etc can grow and the better the tank you will have in the long run.

Let the tank do it's thing, wait 8 or even 12 weeks - add a soft coral or 2 if you must. Then add fish, plan your list, get the order to add them right, put them in a Q tank if you have one (this buys more time for your tank to mature in case I'm beating around the bush)

Take your time. To many people rush in, crash the tank, spend a fortune chasing their tails and then get out of the hobby. Hang around for the long haul.

Best of luck and hope it all works out for you.

Scottrotton

HTTPS://REEF.EXCHANGE
Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for this.

I do have a question, I would like to add some more sand to the tank, I removed my old sand becuase it was magnetic which i didn't realise at the timeof ordering and I cant use a magnetic glass cleaner.

I have found some Hawaiian Black Argalive, I would like to add but dont want to distupt the balance, is this safe to add or should i leave it a while, should I add a different type of sand?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
New sand = new cycle, particularly if replacing the whole sandbed as it sounds. I would do it asap before nitrates build up in your current sandbed ...

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
sand is usually not an issue to be added, isnt it more so if it is live sand then it will cause a mini-cycle as apposed to dry sand thats been rinsed thoroughly with RO?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
The arg alive stuff is a live sand if sorts, but if you have already removed what you have I couldn't really see too much of an issue adding one of those 4.5kg bags every week or two until you get where you want.

I know you have your heart set on it but I'd once again try and steer you away from black substrate.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
+1 for normal sand...looks so much nicer IMO i honestly wish i could see the beauty in it

im off to google some insane tanks with black substrate to help prevent me being a hater lol

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
lol i should never have googled it...im about 100% more of a hater now..but each to their own :)

depends what the vision is i guess, i just feel the black seems to take away the brightness of the tank and the only time i kinda like it is when its moonlights because it focuses your concentration on the colour popping corals as opposed to your eye being fooled by other bright things that arent meant to be the main focus

shame the one you got was magnetic though, that would suck, you might have some luck selling it off, or i guess it gives you an excuse to buy a RSM 130D :P

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Funny you say that about the 130D i was about to buy a second hand on for my QT, im just using the magnet stuff in that.

im going to look at a few more tanks and see if I can like the white :D sabes me money on shipping then at least I dont have to wait to get it either.

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Thanks LEO, im sold on that pink sand going to ring the LFS now see if they have it in, in other news got a huge ammonia spike today at 2ppm so ive moved my clowns into QT again until its over.

Hopefully this is my cycle as the remains of prime but be out the system now :D

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
remember its white with pink bits...not all pink from ads tank lol

depending how many bags you need i have one brand new one left i might keep it but yeah if you're struggling to get it than ye...try get fiji pink and fiji ultra pink its a good mix but keep in mind its really fine sand given the amount of flow in my tank it doesnt move so should be fine in ur RSM

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
found this online

Aragalive Fiji Pink 9kg

Fiji Pink Reef Sand: 0.5-1.5 mm diameter grain size. A gently hued aragonite, CaribSea Seaflor Pink Fiji Reef Sand is ideal for plenum systems, nitrate reduction systems and most fish and reef tanks. Helps achieve the pH of natural seawater. Proves calcium and other essential trace elements like strontium and magnesium.

CaribSea Aragonite buffers to the highest pH and delivers more calcium, carbonate, and trace elements than any other substrate. Little or no rinsing required, aragonite keeps aquariums healthier, longer.

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
and this one

Caribsea Seaflor Fiji Pink 6.8kg
Fiji Pink Reef Sand: 0.5-1.5 mm diameter grain size. A gently hued aragonite, CaribSea Seaflor Pink Fiji Reef Sand is ideal for plenum systems, nitrate reduction systems and most fish and reef tanks. Helps achieve the pH of natural seawater. Proves calcium and other essential trace elements like strontium and magnesium.