Reef Discussion

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
current $ including tank stand chiller return pump lights (diy led thanks magicj) skimmmer sump (which i have made myself) etc is over $3000 and i sourced 2nd hand when i could. it is still not finished next on list is 3 wave makers and a controler (read tunze) and more leds have the leds but no drivers as yet. then redo the hood place cooling fans on top to keep leds cool never ending

I LUV THIS HOBBY WIFE DONT THOUGH EVEN THOUGH THE MOST EXPENSIVE ITEMS SWIMMING IN THE TANK ARE HERS

V

'vspec'

HAHA okay, well that helps. My budget is probably $700 maximum, and I know that really limits me. :(
You could potentially blow that on drilling/ plumbing, a pump, and your first round of salt with maybe:confused: shrapnel left in your wallet. Considering your still green, they'd see you coming a mile away, so maybe not even shrapnel...lol

I like to cut to the chase myself, ~ there are multiple paths to success, but lets no kid ourself, people will be people, meaning they are the ones making the choices, and that's regardless of information provided. Seen it a million times, will def see it a million times more. And I'm actually ok with that, everything starts and ends with choices.

So my questions to you is this...
  • Would you consider yourself an impulsive person or a planning person?
  • Do you focus on short term goals, or long term goals?
  • Define on a scale of 1 - 10, your everyday visual reception needs. Ie, some happily read a book, vs someone that needs that visual impact only a movie can bring.

Answer these honestly if you can.
Yes, there is always room for grey!! Hell~ I live in grey, however in this case, consider grey or a switch to the other foot, a time related subject, as experience can/will move your thinking as you grow.

In this particular time frame (and hence your starting point into the near future) you will generally display a mindset ether one or the other!
Even for you, it is sometimes better to swim with the current, than against it. If we embrace your natural persona, which will reflect your choices, we save energy as well, and can properly advise.

This is how to approach these subject IMO, It's something that is often overlooked.
At the end of the day, we all want to limit needless loss of life, so we should remember to embrace what works based on the individual driving, rather than the exclusive path we all believe is set in stone!

V-out!

V

'vspec'

Yeah strange, I'm having a weak moment. Hang on, I'll clear the cache.

Done!! now who has my beer? ;)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
HAHA okay, well that helps. My budget is probably $700 maximum, and I know that really limits me. :(
im not trying to put you off but it will be quiet expensive to setup in the beginning. going cheap first will waist alot of money and time so buy decent gear straight up and if you don't have enough right now save up! you will regret going cheap if you do.
have to agree with vs spec 700$ will get you drilled plumbed and a return pump. that's about it.
lets think of some rought figures based on a 4x2x2
lighting will set you back 700-2000
as an example an illumagic 4 foot unit retails at M120 S/C/P $1,299.00
2xradeons is like 1500$?
maxspecs like 1600$ roughly

return pump 150-400 (can go cheaper although usualy use high power and noisy)

skimmer 300-1500 (around 600-800 will get you a nice suitable skimmer)

salt 120 (700L of salt water)

RO unit 300-500 (necessity)

pumps. now you could get away doing this with 150$ worth of cheap pumps although i have allways had problems with cheap units.
a tunze setup for that size tank would be around 700-1000

thats without fish live rock or corals :p

dont be worried tho if you are handy you can DIY alot of things. personaly i dont DIY much anymore as i want the cleanest look possible

allira

Jan 7, 2012
Lennox Head
  • Would you consider yourself an impulsive person or a planning person?
  • Do you focus on short term goals, or long term goals?
  • Define on a scale of 1 - 10, your everyday visual reception needs. Ie, some happily read a book, vs someone that needs that visual impact only a movie can bring?

V-out!
- I was impulsive at first when I got my all-in-1. And I learned that that's a very bad thing, very soon. I think after I started I've discovered planning is essential and this hobby takes a lot of time and patience. So at this stage, I'm all for planning.

- I am focusing on long term at this point, doing this set up I want it to be as permanent as possible. In saying this, I completely understand that I'm going to be doing a lot of changing and re-arranging of whats inside the tank after I set it up. But hey, it's all about learning and maturing.

- Conveniently, I have never read a book, I don't have the attention span. But I do have a great appreciation for authors and what goes into them. ANYWAY, I'd probably be sitting at about a 6, I learn a lot from what I see and I'm probably not the brightest person in the hobby, but I do enjoy learning about it, and like my Dad always told me, you can only learn something and remember it, if you enjoy it.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
one of the nicest tanks in the marine store up here is a RSM 130D. he barley touchs it and it runs perfect! thats also a cheaper option as you are still only young
fully setup and running for like 1500$ (with water substrate and some rock)
just have to add a chiller next summer
http://www.redseamax.com/redseamax/250temp/redseamax/Red_Sea_MAX_specs130D.html

some specs
Dimensions (LxWxH) 610 x 500 x 605 mm (4 x 20 x 23.8”)
Total water volume 130 liters (34 gallons)
Aquarium volume 110 liters (29 gallons)
Filter volume 20 liters(5 gallons)
Glass thickness 8 mm (0.3")
Cabinet (LxWxH) 610 x 500 x 800 mm (24 x 20 x 32”)
Lighting 2 x 55W T5 Power Compact
Lighting- 10,000k 55W
Lighting- Actinic 55W
Lighting- Blue LED 4
Lighting timer Analogue
Hood opening 3 positions
Circulation Pumps 2 x 550 lph (2 x 146 gph)
Skimmer water throughput 400 lph (100 gph)
Skimmer max Air flow 120 lph (32 gallon)
Skimmer foam adjuster
awww.redseamax.com_redseamax_250temp_redseamax_images_V.gif

Heater Wattage 150W
Mechanical filter

Biological Filtration (active surface area) 420m²/ l (1,200 sq ft/gal)
Activated Carbon 200g (7 oz)
Power centre 5 outlets
Water Cooling Fans
(external power supply)

V

'vspec'

I hit refresh on the cache remember, now I can barely remember to pee standing up ;) Its a good thing too, Dr Phil was about to sue me for mocking him!

I think allira has answered well and honestly, its just a simple snap shot for the observer remember, it will aid in responses for learning/teaching.

I do agree in part with Matty, you cant go past quality gear, and talking long term, waiting till you have the correct gear is a pretty sweet way to launch. Especially if you use the down time to brush up on your understanding.

I'm personally not a fan of all in one systems, but its not to say they aren't a great launching platform as well. Plug and play for the user, hey~ I'm down with that, I means more beer time staring at the tank already.
Will it teach as much?, hard to say, the same principles are there, its just designs that differ.
Does the design compliment or hinder, beats me, I just work here!

Money is an issue, and in the same breath it isn't. Let me put it this way, as an example I could set a marine tank in the bath tub using your budget..... and the inhabitancy enjoying the spa jets would be loving it. Its just about where your trying to reach. Its pointless aiming for the latest lights as an example, if you dont have a need for it, or a foreseeable budget to accommodate it.
Fish dont require anything more than florescent to simulate light last I checked, so its just a question as to whether your going to jump into corals early.

In a lot of ways, (risks aside) your better seeking a pre loved than attempting a new fit out, especially being new to the subjects. Unless your the worlds biggest tight ass, people usually let things go for a decent price, and some come with great extras. As you said, tax time is around the corner, it may pay to shop around the marine sales market. Your current tank can ether be absorbed into the mix, or sold off for a needed purchase.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I think that doing it cheap can be a very effective way to learn, but when the bug bites you then have to replace everything.

If you are on a tight budget it may take you so long to save up for the latest lights and pumps and reactors etc. that you lose interest in the whole process just staring at an empty space wher you plan to keep a glass box full of water! Sometimes its better to start with what you can afford and replace parts as you can, despite this generally being more expensive in the long run.

allira

Jan 7, 2012
Lennox Head
Thanks Matt. I don't doubt that it's a great all in 1 however, it's basically the same as what I have now, maybe a couple of gallons larger. I really wanted to set up this tank as a nice display tank to sit at the end of my hallway.

I'm only really having basic soft corals so my lighting doesn't have to be the best, but I was just aiming for a nice clean set up.

V

'vspec'

What~ One of these? You tripper, where do you find these anyways :)
abuglersbeerblog.files.wordpress.com_2010_05_oldspeck.jpg