Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Nopox | Carbon Dosing
There is no doubt that Nopox (Carbon) dosing combined with sufficient media works but as always, issue always re-emerge :banghead

From my understanding, once you started Carbon dosing, you should never stop !!! Is this accurate?

But I think I have broken that sacred rule !!! :cry

Approx. 1.5 years back:
  • No3 level was off the range ... super RED; from memory, it's above 120 ppm :mad:
  • After adding some Siporax media in my sump and NoPox dosing for considerable amount of time, the No3 level has dropped to undetected level (0 ppm). :D
Approx. 6 months back:
  • Stopped dosing NoPox and No3 is still at undetected level (0 ppm) :D
Recently:
  • I have been quite aggressive in feeding my corals & fish with frozen brine shrimps & reef roids, so the No3 has gone up a bit to 10 - 20 ppm.
  • I have yet to do my husbandry WC as I think the level is still acceptable.
Objective:
  • :reading I'm aiming for accelerated coral growth with my water targeted at 10 dKH Alk, 430 ppm Ca & 1,350 ppm Mg. :p
  • Using Red Sea Foundation A, B & C to maintain these elements. :eek:
  • :reading After some advice from some folks here in Reefuge and other forum and Google, there need to be nutrients of at least 0 to 5 ppm of No3 in the water to avoid burnt tips at high Alkalinity which at the same time achieve the objective of accelerating coral growth. :rolleyes:
Facts:
  • The tank is 250L with fish, zoanthids, LPSs & Softies dominated.
  • Fortnightly to monthly 10% WC with ASW @ 1.026 SG.
The 1 question that I have :eek:
  1. Is there any issue in re-starting regime of NoPox (or Carbon dosing) after stopping for quite a while? In my case, 6 months or so.

ai.ytimg.com_vi_cKP3ZhaANig_hqdefault.jpg

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
I don't see a problem, The Carbon dosing method is based on providing a carbon source for bacteria to consume while they also feed on NO3 and to a smaller degree PO4.
The bacteria then grow in numbers consuming more and get skimmed out thereby removing the nutrients they have consumed.
The concept of not stopping carbon dosing is based on the potential of a large bacteria die off causing a tank crash.
Starting back up again would not cause any issue to my understanding.

Last edited:

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
There is no problem if you restart carbon dosing. I would be careful about the dosage rates if you have elevated nutrient levels. There could be a bacterial bloom if you add too much too quickly, after stopping for a period.

Also remember the carbon dosing will improve your water's clarity and if the change is sudden, you could experience lighting shock to your corals.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
There is no problem if you restart carbon dosing. I would be careful about the dosage rates if you have elevated nutrient levels. There could be a bacterial bloom if you add too much too quickly, after stopping for a period.

Also remember the carbon dosing will improve your water's clarity and if the change is sudden, you could experience lighting shock to your corals.
CADE 2 foot is approximately 180L (with consideration of the LRs in the sump & DT).

No3 》10 ppm Nopox dosing suggestion is 3 ml per 100L.

I remember dosing 6 ml on nightly basis for it to work so am planning to restart 6 ml tonight.

Any thoughts or concerns is HIGHLY appreciated ! thanks @192k

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth

Carbon Dosing was a topic i researched extensively when i got serious about the hobby around 12 months ago. The bacterial blooms you speak of have been known to cloud the water making it look milky. Have seen photos that look like someone has poured cream into the tank.
This scenario cant be good for the system overall as with all my research, the (and i mean "the") most important part of reef keeping is stability. So even if a parameter gets out of our desired range it should be brought back into range steadily.

Very good point you make is what i'm trying to say :D

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
I
Carbon Dosing was a topic i researched extensively when i got serious about the hobby around 12 months ago. The bacterial blooms you speak of have been known to cloud the water making it look milky. Have seen photos that look like someone has poured cream into the tank.
This scenario cant be good for the system overall as with all my research, the (and i mean "the") most important part of reef keeping is stability. So even if a parameter gets out of our desired range it should be brought back into range steadily.

Very good point you make is what i'm trying to say :D
I would also add to skim a bit wetter if you can. In theory, it could assist in removing some of the bacteria present in the water column :)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I would do 1ml for 3-4 days, go to 2ml for 3-4 days, then 3ml and watch the effect. I've been slowly ramping my vinegar down as the Siporax kicks in. I wouldn't throw 6ml in there right away.