Reef Discussion

Uglyman

Mar 9, 2012
Pyalong
Hey vpreef that blue milli wouldn't have been from reeflections would it? It looks like one they had on their FB page, I was considering going down to get it but a 2+ hour drive ain't my idea of fun.

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Hey uglyman,

I got it from williamstown, reeflections had an awesome 2 tone deep purple/ blue color that sold straight away on the bbq night.

I managed to get a frag of it off the buyer :)

timmeh

Jul 31, 2012
Hay all thanks for the warm welcom, ok so today I got a challace the same as the red one in the pic on page 2 for $20 as it had a lil tissue damage around the outside but should be ok, Il try post a pic

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
looks nice, one way to sum up this discussion is that like anything a coral is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Comparing it to the frag plug for size and condition I think it was a good buy, once its healed I would have no probs paying up to about $60-90 I guess. That just me

timmeh

Jul 31, 2012
Ok sweet makes my tank that little bit special lol, I'm guessing the open coral program in trading frags??

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Ok sweet makes my tank that little bit special lol, I'm guessing the open coral program in trading frags??
there's a special forum for the Open Coral Program so you can learn about it and its goals but basically, its to help as many different types of coral be spread out to as many different tanks as possible. Its a form of conservation.
New corals and new variants on known corals are turning up all the time. Just say a diver collects a zoa he's not seen before and sells it to a dealer. The dealer passes it on to an LFS and you come bopping along and see it - awesome coral you've never seen before, must have it! So you buy it. But several months later, there's a power outage and your tank crashes. You lose all your corals including that really special one that you haven't been able to ID because its so new, no one's seen one like it before. After a few years, you see another one but this time it's named and costs a mint - turns out its a rare mutation that doesn't occur often and is hard to find in the GBReef.
Now, just imagine you'd fragged that zoa and donated 2 or 3 pieces to the OCP. The coral wouldn't be lost to you or the entire marine hobby. Its a way of helping your fellow reefers get new and interesting specimens into their tanks and to spread the gene pool. :)