Tank Journal Archive

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
October Review - A Tumultuous Month.
today.JPG

October was a bit of a tumultuous month, death of a blenny, a shrimp and a six line wrasse.

The blenny and shrimp, as mentioned in my previous journal post died as a result of using old water that had been hot, cold, hot, cold, hot, cold. Very saddening, he was a great fish, awesome personality!

The six line wrasse however, all my water parameters were fine, woke up one day and it was having issues swimming. I note that the night before I heard something hit the glass – quite hard as well. So I am thinking either he’s death was a result of trauma after the collision or perhaps something else, external to my tank – nonetheless sad. Went to the LFS, had my water retested and he agreed it was weird and that he would supply another six-line wrasse, free of charge, very generous and great customer service.

I’ve noticed over the past month now, that the level of coralline algae on the live rock has decreased dramatically. I believe this is a direct result of two long spine urchins that are out every night! There is one rock they haven’t been on yet and it’s obvious, it is SO purple! So the plan is, to catch them and take them to the LFS on Thursday.

Good news is that the chiller’s thermostat has been sort out and it is chilling the tank to 24.5-25 when it kicks in and not too much lower thankfully. One less thing to worry about for the time being.

I’ve noticed that my corals’ polyp extension hasn’t been as much as of late, so this is another issue that I will be looking at over the weekend. I can’t see any issues when I test the water, but we will just have to see.

Further, since the death of the blenny, I have noticed a bit of algae where he used to hang out – he must have kept it nice and clean – the two hermit crabs that I have now don’t seem to be too interested in going up there, annoyingly so. So the plan is to get another hermit crab or two hoping that they’ll clean the rock up a bit. I think also the algae might be growing more because the coralline algae has been eaten by the urchins so there is nothing to outcompete the nuisance algae.

So the plan is to:

Take the urchins in.
Get two hermit crabs.
Find out what’s going on with the coral polyp extension (potentially flow)
Continue to strive for better and a healthier tank.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Bit of a rough month for you mate, we all have those it's part of the hobby and each time it happens it can either make you a better reefer or put you out of the hobby.

That's really generous of your lfs to do that for you :) Sounds like they're a good place to have supporting you! In terms of your polyp extension are you running any carbon or filter media in the tank? And was it changed recently? The other thing that could be causing it is a change in your ecosystems biology with the loss of the fish, you might find that in another couple of weeks/a month that everything goes back to normal as the balances are achieved again!

I have to say keep up the great work mate and you'l have that better thriving tank in no time! (Not that yours isn't already looking sweet as ;) )

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Bit of a rough month for you mate, we all have those it's part of the hobby and each time it happens it can either make you a better reefer or put you out of the hobby.

That's really generous of your lfs to do that for you :) Sounds like they're a good place to have supporting you! In terms of your polyp extension are you running any carbon or filter media in the tank? And was it changed recently? The other thing that could be causing it is a change in your ecosystems biology with the loss of the fish, you might find that in another couple of weeks/a month that everything goes back to normal as the balances are achieved again!

I have to say keep up the great work mate and you'l have that better thriving tank in no time! (Not that yours isn't already looking sweet as ;) )

Now that you mention it, yes, I have - I have begun running purigen - how might that affect extension?

Also, thanks for the kind words! :)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Now that you mention it, yes, I have - I have begun running purigen - how might that affect extension?

Also, thanks for the kind words! :)
Well with the addition of any kind of filter media you are stripping elements and such from the water that used to be present in the system, that's what a media is designed for. It's likely that it's the corals adjusting to the change, give it a month and see what happens if it doesn't get any better I'd look at a different media like a carbon :)

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Well with the addition of any kind of filter media you are stripping elements and such from the water that used to be present in the system, that's what a media is designed for. It's likely that it's the corals adjusting to the change, give it a month and see what happens if it doesn't get any better I'd look at a different media like a carbon :)
Oh sweet! Thanks for that mate!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Blennies can be touchy Dean. I've noticed over the years that if their algae is depleted they start a downward spiral. I feed mine nori when this happens and they do well.

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Blennies can be touchy Dean. I've noticed over the years that if their algae is depleted they start a downward spiral. I feed mine nori when this happens and they do well.
Oh is that right?

Thanks for letting me know rob! I appreciate all these things that the Internet doesn't tell you!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
That comes from being in the business and taking notes on your tanks so you're not searching back through you mind wondering if it was this or it was that. I have notebooks full of notes on what to do and what not to do dating back to 1985. Blennies will eat plankton and do OK on it, but like tangs, they won't survive on it. This is something I've figured out over the last year after Boxermom lost her Tailspot blenny Buddha.