Tank Journal Archive

E

ezza

Oh Sad :(
image.jpg

A year ago I bought this Anthias. It began life as a she, then after my red male passed away, became a he. I noticed that his mouth was hanging open yesterday as he was swimming around, but he looked okish... I actually wondered if he was going to die but dismissed the thought.

I just don't know why he died. I have popped him in the freezer for now and will bury him in the garden tomorrow after work. I always bury my fish under my fruit trees.

I don't think I would buy Anthias again. I don't know that they're really suited to aquariums. I wish him love as he swims home on the big EAC in the sky.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Poor baby, you can join the Dead Fish Club with me for today as my cowfish died. FWIW the Anthias looks big and healthy!

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Does look very healthy indeed - I've heard the same things about anthias and have also heard the opposite. My only experiences with them suggest some don't deal well with stress events but some do.

E

ezza

Fat and healthy fish is what I do best! It is entirely possible it was stressed. The tank has gone through a fair bit of change over the last few weeks. The water parameters are where they should be. I had been fussing a little with things recently... Scraping back algae that was becoming permanent etc... I changed the light settings in the last couple of days too.

Ah well, I still have one Anthias. Oddly, she has some small white dots on the edge of one of her fins. I'm hoping it's not some kind of rot or something. It isn't Ich. I haven't added anything new to the system for months and we're doing regular water changes (although I was promised help on Saturday and I am still waiting for my husband to follow through).

Oh well... Life goes on.

E

ezza

Oh, I picked up some Marine Pure balls today. I wouldn't mind buying a block, but don't have the money for it atm. I stopped at Fantasea in West Gosford and got some fabulous assistance. Since I had made such a huge change in removing the DSB when the new skimmer arrived, I thought it would really be good to have something other than just pellets dealing with the nitro cycling.