Reef Discussion

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
One Blenny Dead And One Shrimp
hey all.

I woke this morning to seeing a blenny dead in my tank and a peppermint shrimp dead too.

The blenny are last night and so did the shrimps.

The stats:
26°C
Ph 8
kH 11
Nitrate - 30-40
Phos - undetectable.

Last night I did a water change - approximately 12-15%. Everything seemed fine.

I am thinking the tank, while it reads 26°C now, has gotten much hotter over the course of the night. The chiller is in and an air stone is in the tank to increase oxygen.

The clowns are hanging at the top, lightly gasping.

All of the corals are FINE. all other inverts are FINE.

What's the go?!

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Retested pH and it is look at something like 7.6....

The water I changed did sit in the car for a day and it was hot. Would that have an effect?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Hot water carries little oxygen cold water much more oxygen.

Good that you have stuck in airstone.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Was it NSW or ASW? Either way, sitting in a closed vessel in a hot car didn't do it any good. If you're going to haul water, aerate it for an hour or so before doing the change to degass it.

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Hey all,

So i definitely believed the tank got too hot.

I put the chiller in and it took the tank down to about 25°C. Tested ammonia and nitrite both 0.

The nitrate is 40. Alarmingly high. I did a 30% water change, one to help remove any toxins and two remove the nitrate.

But after all of this today the power pack on my ice probe messed up! Argh.

It's 11:30 pm, and Rob from Marone Boutique STAYED open. For me to travel 1 hour from Penrith to Kilarney heights. Phenomenal service.

Was it NSW or ASW? Either way, sitting in a closed vessel in a hot car didn't do it any good. If you're going to haul water, aerate it for an hour or so before doing the change to degass it.

I definitely will do in future Rob, thanks! And it was NSW.

What temp does the chiller turn on?
The chiller turns on at 26°C. (But the problem was I didn't leave on in over night) so I think the tank has just over heated over night. We have double glazing. It is GREAT for keeping heat out. But also, great for keeping the heat in if it heats up inside!