Reef Discussion

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
I like Salifert for nitrate - not sure what your future plans are for the tank so hard to suggest what else you might need.
Probably should also add, I am toying with the idea of a Seneye (if you can't tell by now, i really like gadgets haha) for my last bit of kit, some reviews seem good, some reviews seem to make it pointless, I'll make the call depending on funds and ease of availability.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
:p

My main query has always been - if this technology is as good as they claim it to be, then why can't we find out anything about it on the net :confused: Surely somebody, somewhere in the world has proven the claims... that is, if the claims can be proven ...
I totally agree, I might be that one person stupid enough to go through the exercise.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
10:55pm another test

Ammonia looks like its dropping, more yellow less green according to that scale on the API chart

can't see the yellow goby, and the clown is asleep in the corner of the tank, fairly standard behaviour so far

Will do another API test in the morning, then go get a new ammonia test from a different company and compare

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I will be interested to see how this goes - @Agent M might also be interested.
Sure am, considering how skeptical we all are they seem to be standing the test of time on the LFS shelves

My main query has always been - if this technology is as good as they claim it to be, then why can't we find out anything about it on the net :confused: Surely somebody, somewhere in the world has proven the claims... that is, if the claims can be proven ...
There is another reefer who is about to install these on her system so we may get feedback from her as well.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
8am testing done

Gravity was a bit high 1.028, ammonia was holding steady according to the API test somewhere between 0.1 and 0.25 according to the colour chart, PH was 8.3 still i have not done nitrite and nitrate yet, getting the gravity into range and the water temp correct are my current concerns, temp is sitting as 21-22 degrees, i'd like it around 24 degrees but the heater is struggling with the tank size, I think I will get a second one.

Both fish look fine, no issues breathing, no red gils, no weird behaviour.

The sea snail has not moved, still stuck to the glass though.

The hermit crab is very active, wondering around.

Done a 8% water change, hopefully that helps with that ammonia and gravity, if not i will do another 5% before I head off for work.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
Well before i left for work i tested nitrate and nitrite, both zero, if my ammonia was up to a dangerous level these would be up to I thought?

I put a little bit of food in the tank, dry flake, and both fish had a nibble.

I did one last ammonia test after the system had a chance to cycle through, no change on that front, temp was steady and the Sgravity was closer to where it needed to be, one more 8% water change should get me there this afternoon.

I will be home in 2hrs while I am on my rounds to do another quick test.

As you can see the blue light in the cabinet shot is the Hydro-pure stream 1 working

So far it seems to be as good as advertised, but its only 72hrs in.

Attachments

Last edited:

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I would recommend taking out those steel hose clamps, they will just cause problems.
Also I think one of your hoses is kinked.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
:welcome

The Reefuge Tank journals are well laid out, think you need to start a journal :) so we can see the progress throughout the years and maybe consolidate weekly result in this thread. the journal entries allow you to specify a topic within the journal and as soon as its created its on the "home" page of the site for others to comment on and be a part of your journey....

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
zip-tie instead?

they are already seizing up, good old Bunnings crap!

I've had to many hoses pop off over the years to know not to use anything.

the hose that is kinked is still getting full flow through it, it's for the hydro-pure pump intake, it's only partial, unfortunately there is not as much space as i would like in the cabinet/sump box, it's going to have to do until i can work out some other way/position of the hydro-pure system

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
The Reefuge Tank journals are well laid out, think you need to start a journal :) so we can see the progress throughout the years and maybe consolidate weekly result in this thread.
thanks rob i will move the discussion there later today.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
zip-tie instead?

they are already seizing up, good old Bunnings crap!

I've had to many hoses pop off over the years to know not to use anything.

the hose that is kinked is still getting full flow through it, it's for the hydro-pure pump intake, it's only partial, unfortunately there is not as much space as i would like in the cabinet/sump box, it's going to have to do until i can work out some other way/position of the hydro-pure system
Yup zip ties :) I am sure I have seen fully plastic hose clamps too.