Tank Journal Archive

brendan88

Jul 3, 2015
Our Twin Spot Gobies
It's 9 months on and we still have our cute little twin spot gobies. I wouldn't say it's been easy at all keeping these little guys but it's defiantly been worth it.

1.JPG

As mentioned in a previous post somewhere I did purchase the pair of twin spots before I new of their terrible survival rate in the home aquarium. Given the words of warning to begin with they were kept separate from the main 4x2 and put in a tiny 30L. They stayed in here for at least a month or more (really can't remember). We started feeding live brine and crushing hikari sinking carnivore pellets, so when they sifted the sand they would get some food given the tiny size of the sand bed in the 30L. Eventually frozen food was substituted slowly for live and they began eating that and moving to the food a few centimetres. The water needed frequent changes with the over feeding and small size of the tank but we persisted until they put on some weight.

2.JPG

We finally bit the bullet and decided to join them in with the main tank, the 4x2. The other fish didn't cause any troubles just swimming past to check out the new arrivals. The entire time we've had twin spots they have never bullied or have been bullied by other fish, though they can get intimidated by larger fish even if they're just swimming past. Actually they do mouth the spotted mandarins, I guess it's a fish their size they can pick on, though the mandarin's don't pay any attention.

3.JPG

Over the next couple of weeks one of the pair in particular lost considerable weight it was caught and put in the sump for a few days before re-joining with it's mate up the top. If I could have caught both I would have, but catching one was struggle enough.

4.JPG

Both twin spots then maintained weight and have been left to their own since. That was about 6 months ago as we have had the 8x2 and the twin spots were one of the first fish introduced into that tank. They do a great job sifting our fine sand and still mange to dig holes under corals making them fall over much to Brendan's disgust. They now chase frozen food at a fast pace and leave the sand bed vertically about 15cm or so. Meaning dropping in frozen and letting it float around allows them to get something extra as well as the sand sifting. We also stopped putting in the crushed pellet without any weight changes as but larger fish caught on and were eating it all off the sand bed.

5.JPG

They are so different to anything else we have. Most of the time in the day they are on their own since they've become comfortable in the 8x2 but at night they pair back up sleeping together in a dug out hole.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I really wish I could like this multiple times!! I'm soooo glad to see them going strong at 9 months :D You should be very proud of keeping a pair of these guys so healthy!

brendan88

Jul 3, 2015
Hey dom,

There still rocking life in the 8 footer, even with a pair of green mandarines.

Nic is going to do a new post update for ya

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Stoked to hear it! They're such amazing fish :D

Looking forward to a new update too! And I was always told annoying people didn't pay off :P

brendan88

Jul 3, 2015
20160803_103313.jpg
Stoked to hear it! They're such amazing fish :D

Looking forward to a new update too! And I was always told annoying people didn't pay off :p
Sorry for the wait Wrangy. Brendan would never put I post with pics up so although he may look all the time you'd be waiting all year for a post. With work it's very hard to get on a computer and actually put pics up. It's very rare I go a month without taking some random picture of the twin spots, but posting them is another story.

It's been well over a year now and we still have both gobies going strong. No weigh loss since the last move a long while ago.
I do watch them eat pellets that manage to make it to the sand bed and land within their vicinity. Mainly they just sift our sand constantly and eat frozen brine I get near them through a feeding tube. Though they do get scared by the tube most times unlike my pair of green mandarins which chase it.

You'll notice in the pic with both gobies that ones top front fin is damaged. No clue how it happened, it never affected it but it's been about two months with no healing.

Here's some random pics from this week.

20160803_103233.jpg

20160803_103313.jpg

IMG_7217.JPG

Going to do a very quick update with pics of the whole tank. Any questions about the twin spots ask away.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Some people just like to watch :rolleyes

They look fantastic Nic!! Just stunning fish that you guys have done a bang up job with!