Tank Journal Archive

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
Out With The Old Sump, In With The New Sump!
Okay so my auto top off has been sitting waiting for this sump swap for over a year (yep, I get to things quickly around here!) and the filter sock holder and filter socks have been waiting for about half that amount of time.

With the impending dosing pump addition (just waiting on some custom acrylic brackets to be made) I needed to make some changes.

I didn't need the 3 chamber sump as I'm not running a fuge (too small to be beneficial) and I wanted a larger water volume in the return in case the ATO fails (it's actually plumbed to run through a wall into the kitchen beside a set of drawers, away from little fingers - I didn't want it beside the tank (and that's just ugly)

OLD SUMP

Had 3 chambers, inlet which left a lot of bubbles which caused a lot of salt creep (drove me mad) first chamber also had the old skimmer, the centre fuge (too small to do anything other than collect detritus) and the return - I found the return really too small without an auto top off - having to top off daily to keep everything happy) It looks quite large, but from front to back it was far too shallow.

amedia.use.com_images_s_2_e05a33bf9687c4ac9e0a_5.jpg

NEW SUMP

You can't really see the inlet with the filter sock, it's behind the skimmer, surprisingly easy to get to though. The skimmer is very easy to pull out for cleaning - just remove cup, pull out.

The Auto top off float height allows for enough water to be able to return down into the sump when return pump is off (it doesn't go above the glass panel that's there to reduce micro bubbles (I've never really had an issue with micro bubbles, the baffle is there because it can be.

amedia.use.com_images_s_2_0039bc0fa655099e28ec_1.jpg

amedia.use.com_images_s_2_0039bc0fa655099e28ec_2.jpg

NEXT PLAN

Waiting for my oxydator to turn up, so it can also go into the set up. Not sure where it will go at this point, I was going to pop it into the return chamber as there is lots of room there, but going to do a bit more research first. I may put it under the skimmer (as that has to be raised anyway)

And the Dosing Pump!

Attachments

E

ezza

It looks really cool! I love the way an entire reef system can be so compact and neat. Very impressive.

May I ask, do you have pics of the plumbing through the wall? Did you use any kind of frame or anything around the hole? It's a concept I sometimes toss around with my husband, but as with most things affecting permanent structures, I am a little reticent to go and make a hole without much idea about how to hide it effectively.

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
Thank you :)

The wiring is not neat, it bugs me, but it's easy to pull things out as it is. So it stays like this for now.

Last edited:

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
It looks really cool! I love the way an entire reef system can be so compact and neat. Very impressive.

May I ask, do you have pics of the plumbing through the wall? Did you use any kind of frame or anything around the hole? It's a concept I sometimes toss around with my husband, but as with most things affecting permanent structures, I am a little reticent to go and make a hole without much idea about how to hide it effectively.
I just realised (in my zombie like state) that you mean plumbing through the plaster wall for the auto top off *facepalm*

It's a hole drilled in the plaster behind the tank, on the other side of the wall is the top off container. All that runs through the wall is the power cord and the water line - Small hole and easy to fill and paint upon leaving.