• Not Fussed

Votes: 11 22.4%

• Total voters

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Paypal Vs Credit Card
Hello everyone,

I would just like to do a quick survey. When buying products online, how do most of you prefer to pay?

Thanks.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I try and use paypal when it's overseas as it takes out the hefty bank costs involved with those sorts of transactions and it adds and extra level of safety too. When I order from here in Aus, I try to use paypal but I'm not really fussed either way :)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Paypal all the way for me. It's also the only payment method I accept for naqua.com.au - though of course you can just enter your credit card details if you don't have an account.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
PayPal for most things. Unless I trust the person and ill use the cc to avoid PayPal fees.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
From a merchant perspective, PayPal beats you having to have a rather expensive to set up a merchant account, the requisite bank account, the ongoing merchant fees, and the whole range of security hoops you need to get through to satisfy any of the bank requirements here for online credit card processing (which aren't impossible, but can be a little annoying)!
From a customer perspective: Still PayPal :P

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Had a friend bought through PayPal. Item never arrived thought she was covered because of using PayPal. But NO cover. Read small print. PayPal will only fight your case in certain purchase Apparently they will only fight your case on eBay and some other larger sites but not private or smaller business. If I can be proven wrong then please do because they told my friend she was on her own and it was a. $2300 purchase that she has now lost

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
It is unfortunate that so many insist on using PayPal. A dishonest company with very questionable practices. It looks like the new site I will be releasing will support it, due to the large number of people who prefer to use it over a credit card.

E

ezza

We just cut up our credit cards. I use PayPal and even when we did have credit cards, tended to do transfers from bank acct most often. I think we'll have to somehow get hold of a debit/credit card or even one of those post office load and go ones though. I used to have a Bopo card before they went bust. We just don't want to pay with -credit-. There needs to be a suitable alternative.

Oh! And @The Reefuge , I have heard PayPal can be a bit dodgy... But until there is a more suitable alternative... What can you do? Happy to do bank transfers except it takes too long.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Oh! And @The Reefuge , I have heard PayPal can be a bit dodgy... But until there is a more suitable alternative... What can you do? Happy to do bank transfers except it takes too long.
Hi @ezza,

There is an alternative that I have been looking into and it is called Stripe. The cost of using the service for the seller is higher than PayPal, however, the extra cost seems to pay for much less headaches. Any bank card with credit card capabilities can use this system (bank card with visa for example, or mastercard).

All processing is done on their servers as well, which means the seller does not need to retain any user information regarding their credit card details.

The site that I will soon be launching will most likely support Stripe. Unfortunately, due to the large number of people who seem to prefer paypal (I am making the assumption that since the poll indicated that on The Reefuge, it would indicate that on many different sites) we will also be supporting PayPal payments.

Thanks.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I think Paypal is just at that critical mass where it is the default. Like Facebook - people bitch about it and it definitely has its faults, but everyone uses it.

I personally have no issues with Paypal at all, though I am aware others do.

ps - Stripe looks pretty cool!

E

ezza

We just don't have a credit card in any format. It doesn't leave many options.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
we use our bank cards that have pay pass/credit card capabilities using our normal accounts. Works fine for paypal and credit card payments everywhere. It didn't cost us anything to change our cards over to this format.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello everyone,

Just a quick update. Here are some screenshots of the Credit Card payments working through Stripe. It is a lot better than Paypal. You don't even leave the website when the purchase is complete.

1.png

2.png

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
I personally prefer to use PayPal and here's why:

I recently bought something like my 20th purchase from a reputable online pet goods store (they sold a particular type of premium holistic grain free cat food that my cat was fed on) anyway, I purchased quite a large amount of it and THANKFULLY I paid by PayPal (as I always have with this store) as the "closed for maintenance the week after my purchase and it never arrived. No response to any form of contact made by me and I got back several hundred dollars after the PayPal investigation was complete.

If it's there as an option for PayPal - I use it.

I also wholesale things online and accept payments that way - yes, there are annoyingly high fees for online auction sites and the PayPal service, but it's quick and hassle free and for that, I loves it!

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I personally prefer to use PayPal and here's why:

I recently bought something like my 20th purchase from a reputable online pet goods store (they sold a particular type of premium holistic grain free cat food that my cat was fed on) anyway, I purchased quite a large amount of it and THANKFULLY I paid by PayPal (as I always have with this store) as the "closed for maintenance the week after my purchase and it never arrived. No response to any form of contact made by me and I got back several hundred dollars after the PayPal investigation was complete.

If it's there as an option for PayPal - I use it.

I also wholesale things online and accept payments that way - yes, there are annoyingly high fees for online auction sites and the PayPal service, but it's quick and hassle free and for that, I loves it!
I've got a similar story but I purchased a laptop on ebay without paypal and guess what - no help from ebay whatsoever. Only a year long police investigation and criminal prosecution later did I STILL NOT get any money back. A bit more dodgy obviously and a bit more stupid on my part though. I'm happy paying through credit card for little things like subscriptions and minor purchases but paypal just gives you that sense of consistent security for bigger ticket items.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
I've got a similar story but I purchased a laptop on ebay without paypal and guess what - no help from ebay whatsoever. Only a year long police investigation and criminal prosecution later did I STILL NOT get any money back. A bit more dodgy obviously and a bit more stupid on my part though. I'm happy paying through credit card for little things like subscriptions and minor purchases but paypal just gives you that sense of consistent security for bigger ticket items.
As a consumer Paypal is good. As a business, it is horrible. If you like, get someone to make a purchase from you for $100 or so for a skimmer. Keep all receipts and any other evidence of the transaction. Then get the customer to put in a dispute with Paypal. Regardless of how much evidence you have of the transaction taking place, and the customer receiving their skimmer, it is going to be very difficult to get your money or your product back. It is crazy.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I dont have alot of experience with the disputes only on eBay. I have had one that payment was returned to me as the seller did not reply to any communications and then I recieved the product I purchased anyway and was not required to return it = not a good result for seller... Outside of eBay I dont think that PayPal offer much, if any, protection for the buyer or the seller.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
As a consumer Paypal is good. As a business, it is horrible. If you like, get someone to make a purchase from you for $100 or so for a skimmer. Keep all receipts and any other evidence of the transaction. Then get the customer to put in a dispute with Paypal. Regardless of how much evidence you have of the transaction taking place, and the customer receiving their skimmer, it is going to be very difficult to get your money or your product back. It is crazy.
naqua is obviously small fry in the scheme of things, but I use Paypal for 99% of transactions and have not had a dispute as yet. So from a business perspective, for me it works fine.

Stripe looks decent - but do you need to enter your CC details for every purchased, or do you have a profile like you do for Paypal? On the consumer side, the ease of Paypal and not having to dig my card out makes it attractive.