Reef Discussion

dazzamx

Feb 24, 2015
Phosphate Remover
Has anyone used Chemi Pure elite in their tanks.
From what I can see it comes in a bag whith phosphate remover and Activated carbon and you can apparently leave it in your tank for six months, before it needs to be changed.
Has any one used this product and what's do they think.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
It lasts UP to. 6 months. If you have high phos & it absorbs large amounts quickly it then needs changing or it won't keep working. !! It's a great product & works well but I find I change my rowa more often than my carbon so it wasnt a good product for me. But once it's full it's full. Apparently won't leach anything back in the tank but won't keep On removing phos from tank either. Hope this helps

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I use it in my Red Sea max 130 with purigen as its a very common combo on those tanks. I replace both every 4 months and they are toast by then.

Awesome product though, couldn't recommend highly enough. Water is crystal clear and polished nicely

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
I am not using Chemi pure how ever I have just started using Carbon & GFO in a reactor together.
I believe this is what's in Chemi pure elite.
in the past week or two my P04 has gone from 0.13 to 0.02 (may have dropped a little 2 quick)
So I can confirm that the combination works!

dazzamx

Feb 24, 2015
I won't be using a reactor in this tank as its a nano with built in weir at tha back.
Will be dropping the media bag in one of the filter compartments.
They seem to like it in the USA, so I thought I'd see what people hear thought about it.

Im going to give Aqua Medic Antiphos FE a go. It doesnt need to tumble and is $27 for 500g. Good value i think. Lasts for up 6 month in a 300L average tank apparently... Got some free from a rep so im giving it a shot.

Nitrate control would be NPX in JNS reactror.

Tried Rowaphos. Bit pricey plus you loose a third of it by simply rinsing it before use. No good for me...

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Im going to give Aqua Medic Antiphos FE a go. It doesnt need to tumble and is $27 for 500g. Good value i think. Lasts for up 6 month in a 300L average tank apparently... Got some free from a rep so im giving it a shot.

Nitrate control would be NPX in JNS reactror.

Tried Rowaphos. Bit pricey plus you loose a third of it by simply rinsing it before use. No good for me...
Be interested in your findings. Just don't be fooled by " will last 6 months ". For example If 250g takes out 0.04 phos ( it's max for grams used ) in 5 days and you still have phos in your tank it will become exhausted & ineffective within that 5 days and will need replacing. So very rare for any phos media to last 6 months Obviously depending on your starting number.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I guess i was taking a rep's word for what he's trying to sell....hahahaha
I know that rowa 250g can remove 0.04 within 24hrs if ran according to directions. Seachem Phosguard is the same. Phosguard is cheaper to buy and does not need a reactor.
But you can see how that would def need replacing very quickly, it would take your number down to 0.04 and than stop working.

As far as rinsing the rowa, I normally place it in the reactor, then use the pump to run water through it till the water runs clear, this way you don't lose any of the media during the rinse.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
GFO is great, but it only has a limited capacity to bind phosphates.If you're starting out high, I'd recommend changing out small doses weekly until you get it down to where you want it to be. Maybe start with 150g weekly until it drops down, taking out too much too fast is also hard on corals, especially Acropora and Elegance corals.

I've gone through 3kgs of it cleaning up 200 kg of live rock that was abused.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Wait - what were you doing with 200KG of live rock? you making a pool reef or is it commercial?... sorry... just curious LOL
I got a bunch from a guy that was retiring and it had been in captivity for over 30 years and needed to have the phosphates removed. I'll pick it up off Craigslist here when I can find it cheap, plus I sell wholesale here in the US.