Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Phosphate
Hi I have phoshates for the frist time ever, i have had high nitrates but never phosphates, i have seen seachem have a product called phosnet, has anyone used this yet?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
what level are they at? Having phosphates is not an issue, having none is. Of course, having excess phosphates can be an issue - so what is your level?

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
what level are they at? Having phosphates is not an issue, having none is. Of course, having excess phosphates can be an issue - so what is your level?
They are 1 on salifert test kit, on 1 tank and pushing close to 3 on the other, in 3 years i have never had them

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
1? as in 1.00? and 3.00? That's huge! Normally with phosphate we are talking ranges of 0.01 - 0.20

Did you go from 0 to 1.00 and 3.00 in a short period of time?

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
Get yourself a hanna checker or some sort of test kit that reads in the decimals first off.

If you want a product to reduce P04, I use Lanth or rowaphos if I feel like splurging. Phosnet is just another GFO much the same as all the other GFO's available. Work well in a reactor and need regular changing

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
The salifert kit will read 0, 0.03, 0.1, 0.25, 0.5, 1.0 and 3.0. Plus you can do the high sensitivity test for more options.

I wouldn't go changing anything too drastic till you work out what has caused the huge swing. A second test kit would be a wise option, tanks rarely go from zero to 1+ in a short period of time without obvious other signs of stress

Fats

Jun 18, 2017
I have used phosguard from seachem and if anything it worked too well. Only left it in for 2 days and went from about 2 down to undetectable. Personal I think it was to fast and but it was good for a quick fix if you need it

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Sounds like you've had something die or your RO system's malfunctioned somehow. If you never had an issue and all of a sudden you have, you need to figure out why. Try some water changes to dilute them before you throw a bunch of media or chemicals at your tank. I have one tank that never has a phosphate issue and all I do is a weekly 25l water change, the rest of my systems run GFO.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Sounds like you've had something die or your RO system's malfunctioned somehow. If you never had an issue and all of a sudden you have, you need to figure out why. Try some water changes to dilute them before you throw a bunch of media or chemicals at your tank. I have one tank that never has a phosphate issue and all I do is a weekly 25l water change, the rest of my systems run GFO.
Thank again Rob, I have tested ro water and salt mix, no phosphates,and i do a 100lt water change out of 400 every week anyway, would reef trace and reef plus add phosphates?I am not feeding much

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Is there anything else you have changed? Did you move any rocks or have anything die? Unusual to get such a spike in phosphate but not nitrate?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Neither of those 2 would cause a phosphate or nitrate spike that I know of. Something has changed, we need to figure out what. Are all fish, inverts and corals accounted for? Have you changed salt/brand? Are you using NSW? Is that a new batch? New supplier? A new food?

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Neither of those 2 would cause a phosphate or nitrate spike that I know of. Something has changed, we need to figure out what. Are all fish, inverts and corals accounted for? Have you changed salt/brand? Are you using NSW? Is that a new batch? New supplier? A new food?
I have been treating for Aipatasia, blue vet and the red sea one, i am using Aqua forrest salt now, but i tested the salt, I can not get lobster eggs for my dragnets so i am now using red plankton

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
My bet will be on the moving of rock stirring up a bunch of detritus causing a phosphate spike. I'd just keep up the water changes and mechanical filtration (if you are running any, if so I bet your filter socks are clogging up like mad) and it should come back to normal soon enough

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
My bet will be on the moving of rock stirring up a bunch of detritus causing a phosphate spike. I'd just keep up the water changes and mechanical filtration (if you are running any, if so I bet your filter socks are clogging up like mad) and it should come back to normal soon enough
thanks, hope that is it, i change my socks every second day anyWay

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Do a good gravel vacuum and see what happens. I can't see the AiptasiaX causing an issue unless you're killing 20-30 a day and not getting them out of the tank. Make sure you rinse the food in RO water, it's packaged onboard a ship, needless to say, they don't use RO water.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Do a good gravel vacuum and see what happens. I can't see the AiptasiaX causing an issue unless you're killing 20-30 a day and not getting them out of the tank. Make sure you rinse the food in RO water, it's packaged onboard a ship, needless to say, they don't use RO water.
Yeah I wash the food, i was killing that many a day, and didn't get them out, i now have a copper band butterfly and no Aiptasia