Phosphate

Discussion in 'Additives' started by Susan Bates, Jul 18, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Susan Bates

Susan Bates Member

Ratings:
    +136
    Australia
    State:
    new south wales
    Hi I have phoshates for the frist time ever, i have had high nitrates but never phosphates, i have seen seachem have a product called phosnet, has anyone used this yet?
  2. Sam Parker

Sam Parker Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,655
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    what level are they at? Having phosphates is not an issue, having none is. Of course, having excess phosphates can be an issue - so what is your level?
  3. Susan Bates

Susan Bates Member

Ratings:
    +136
    Australia
    State:
    new south wales
    They are 1 on salifert test kit, on 1 tank and pushing close to 3 on the other, in 3 years i have never had them
  4. Sam Parker

Sam Parker Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,655
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    1? as in 1.00? and 3.00? That's huge! Normally with phosphate we are talking ranges of 0.01 - 0.20

Did you go from 0 to 1.00 and 3.00 in a short period of time?
  5. Susan Bates

Susan Bates Member

Ratings:
    +136
    Australia
    State:
    new south wales
    yes, they did
  6. Azfish

Azfish Member

Ratings:
    +293
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    Get yourself a hanna checker or some sort of test kit that reads in the decimals first off.

If you want a product to reduce P04, I use Lanth or rowaphos if I feel like splurging. Phosnet is just another GFO much the same as all the other GFO's available. Work well in a reactor and need regular changing
    • Cheers! Cheers! x 1
  7. Sam Parker

Sam Parker Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,655
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    The salifert kit will read 0, 0.03, 0.1, 0.25, 0.5, 1.0 and 3.0. Plus you can do the high sensitivity test for more options.

I wouldn't go changing anything too drastic till you work out what has caused the huge swing. A second test kit would be a wise option, tanks rarely go from zero to 1+ in a short period of time without obvious other signs of stress
    • Cheers! Cheers! x 1
  8. Fats

Fats Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Australia
    State:
    QLD
    I have used phosguard from seachem and if anything it worked too well. Only left it in for 2 days and went from about 2 down to undetectable. Personal I think it was to fast and but it was good for a quick fix if you need it
    • Love It! Love It! x 1
  9. ReeferRob

ReeferRob Solidarité

Ratings:
    +2,101
    United States
    State:
    Maryland
    Sounds like you've had something die or your RO system's malfunctioned somehow. If you never had an issue and all of a sudden you have, you need to figure out why. Try some water changes to dilute them before you throw a bunch of media or chemicals at your tank. I have one tank that never has a phosphate issue and all I do is a weekly 25l water change, the rest of my systems run GFO.
  10. Susan Bates

Susan Bates Member

Ratings:
    +136
    Australia
    State:
    new south wales
    Thank again Rob, I have tested ro water and salt mix, no phosphates,and i do a 100lt water change out of 400 every week anyway, would reef trace and reef plus add phosphates?I am not feeding much
  11. Sam Parker

Sam Parker Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,655
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    Is there anything else you have changed? Did you move any rocks or have anything die? Unusual to get such a spike in phosphate but not nitrate?
  12. ReeferRob

ReeferRob Solidarité

Ratings:
    +2,101
    United States
    State:
    Maryland
    Neither of those 2 would cause a phosphate or nitrate spike that I know of. Something has changed, we need to figure out what. Are all fish, inverts and corals accounted for? Have you changed salt/brand? Are you using NSW? Is that a new batch? New supplier? A new food?
  13. Susan Bates

Susan Bates Member

Ratings:
    +136
    Australia
    State:
    new south wales
    I did move rock
  14. Susan Bates

Susan Bates Member

Ratings:
    +136
    Australia
    State:
    new south wales
    I have been treating for Aipatasia, blue vet and the red sea one, i am using Aqua forrest salt now, but i tested the salt, I can not get lobster eggs for my dragnets so i am now using red plankton
  15. Sam Parker

Sam Parker Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,655
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    My bet will be on the moving of rock stirring up a bunch of detritus causing a phosphate spike. I'd just keep up the water changes and mechanical filtration (if you are running any, if so I bet your filter socks are clogging up like mad) and it should come back to normal soon enough
  16. Susan Bates

Susan Bates Member

Ratings:
    +136
    Australia
    State:
    new south wales
    thanks, hope that is it, i change my socks every second day anyWay
  17. ReeferRob

ReeferRob Solidarité

Ratings:
    +2,101
    United States
    State:
    Maryland
    Do a good gravel vacuum and see what happens. I can't see the AiptasiaX causing an issue unless you're killing 20-30 a day and not getting them out of the tank. Make sure you rinse the food in RO water, it's packaged onboard a ship, needless to say, they don't use RO water.
  18. Susan Bates

Susan Bates Member

Ratings:
    +136
    Australia
    State:
    new south wales
    Yeah I wash the food, i was killing that many a day, and didn't get them out, i now have a copper band butterfly and no Aiptasia
    • Cheers! Cheers! x 1
  19. ReeferRob

ReeferRob Solidarité

Ratings:
    +2,101
    United States
    State:
    Maryland
    If you do kill them make sure you suck them out of the tank after you kill them.
    • Informative Informative x 1