Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Picked Up Some Lights
I managed to score a Maxspect Razor 160w 16000k light unit for the new tank. They seem a quite impressive unit, I'd be interested to hear from others who run them.

lights.jpg

I've also made a slight change to the overflow box to change the amount going back to the sump on shutdown.
It's got all the pipework in the back and will probably take it to the tank builder next week to get his input.

flow.jpg

I've put a couple of internal rails in the stand, the front one will take the 8 point switcher and the middle one will be a support for the cables going to the switcher (there will be a shelf attached to hide any excess cables).
Also a bracket that hangs down to hold the dosing pump at an angle I can easily see and work on.

stand.jpg

All is progressing nicely.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Are the controls for the dosing pumps on top of the unit?

E

ezza

I have a razor. It took me a while to get settings right. Slowly increasing output so the corals aren't bleached is the best advice I can give. I follow a light schedule I found online from another forum. I can't find it right now - but will detail the settings when I'm home if you like.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I have a razor. It took me a while to get settings right. Slowly increasing output so the corals aren't bleached is the best advice I can give. I follow a light schedule I found online from another forum. I can't find it right now - but will detail the settings when I'm home if you like.
:worship

Would love to see that @ezza as also bought the same unit.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Actually, mine didn't come with the stands, so I'm looking to find someone isn't using theirs and wants to sell them or if anyone knows where I can buy them.

E

ezza

I wonder if an LFS might have stands lying around- maybe likely if they have the light on display with a hanging kit or have upgraded.

E

ezza

Ok... I found the post I chose to follow from http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?627440-Maxspect-razor-16k-settings/page9

I had tried several sets of settings, in the end, I have found this post to contain suitable info for me to base my light schedule on. It gives me good colour on the corals, growth, and the fish aren't freaking out because the lights are too sunny...

By "JonnyKirby"
And just looking back at peoples previous posts, if you are struggling with growth, and have it set for around 4 hours on peak, extend it to more like 6 - 8 hours on peak, the corals benefit more from length of time at higher intensity rather than higher intensity lighting, so if you supplement your lighting too much youl bleach the corals, but if you keep lower intensity lights on longer youl get more growth, if this makes sense. The only bad effects you may see from longer peak lighting is more algae growth, im keeping mostly SPS with a few LPS so i have mine on at 9am at 0% - 5%, then at 11 they change to 35% - 65% then 1PM - 9PM at 65% - 100%, then at 9PM it drops to 25% - 65%, 10pm 0% - 35% and then all night it stays on 1% blue,

My idea is that all throughout the day they get a good dose of blue lighting making them grow how i want them to with supplemented Par rating for 8 hours peak and even 2 hours either side they are getting a bit of white lighting for added PAR

And like i said im getting good growth on my SPS and my acan has gained a few more heads since swapping from MRL leds to the razor, and my xenia and GSP are growing like weeds

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Looking good Dave! This is going to be an awesome tank :) I'm very jealous of your stand and setup!! :) I shall proceed to live vicariously through your tank now :p haha

Sterlo

May 1, 2015
Townsville
Just curious as to if you purchased the overflow box here in Australia?? as I am chasing the same, (Ghost Overflow/ Synergy Overflow)

EDIT: ok cancel that, I saw another post where you have had it made up... great work im looking at the same.. how much did they sting you for it?

Last edited:

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Just curious as to if you purchased the overflow box here in Australia?? as I am chasing the same, (Ghost Overflow/ Synergy Overflow)

EDIT: ok cancel that, I saw another post where you have had it made up... great work im looking at the same.. how much did they sting you for it?
I did some web work for the plastics guy I know so it was just the cost of the acrylic.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I contacted the Ghost mob in the States and they said they weren't selling the overflows as a separate item, only just with their tanks. Maybe at a later date they said.

Sterlo

May 1, 2015
Townsville
synergy reef are now doing them in conjunction with Reef Savvy, they have just released a new model but not to Australia

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
synergy reef are now doing them in conjunction with Reef Savvy, they have just released a new model but not to Australia
That's what I based my design on - the new one has a clear back box so you can easily see and adjust your water level and also see any build up of crap.