Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Pico Startup
Getting bored, so I thought I'd start a new project.
I have a 9L AquaOne tank left from having a Betta (yep my lovely Half Moon Dragon died last month - he was old)
So I thought I would start a pico zoa garden. I have a reasonable range of zoas in the Cade that are growing like wild fire, so I will take a couple from each group and try and grow a complete garden.
I picked up a LED light off Fish Street for $30 - fits the budget and I was really surprised as to how good the build quality was - heaps of light. (Only took 6 days.)
I'll look around for some neat pieces of rock and fire it up, probably go bare bottom (also with the tank).
I was wondering if I should get the nano sized Aquaclear HOB power filter, but I think regular water changes should do the trick.
Anyway, something for me to do :)

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Found some rock.
Have to pick up a really small circulation unit.

rock.jpg

The light is actually more even than that - it doesn't have that blue patch in the middle.

Might put some sand on the bottom - not all that impressed with nothing there.

Azedenkae

Jun 17, 2013
That's an Aqualina!

They are actually very good lights, for the price. :p

Aqualina also do custom sizes and LEDs as well. I.e. you can choose your own colors/amount of LEDs and length and all that. At least that was what Brad (head of Aqualina) said last time we met anyways. Not sure if it changed.

Nice selection of rocks by the way. Will be cool to see all that eventually covered by Zoas.

That has always what I wanted to do - have corals eventually cover something, and perhaps eventually have layers after layers as one covers another.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I've been busy.
Picked up a HOB filter that seems to work nicely. Comes with some filter material but it has a couple of chambers to put various media in which is nice.
Super quiet, and adjustable water flow that seems to create enough water movement through the tank to be efficient.
Lucky I got a voucher for the LFS from my mate as a birthday present last week - this isn't costing me anything so far :).

filter.jpg

filter-2.jpg

Mar 1, 2014
Hey @daveH I just got the 32lt aqua medic from my LFS counter. Really happy. Used their sand (not sure if that was good idea or not) I just threw some rock in from my sump just to start the mini cycle (I hope mini).
I'm looking at doing mainly zoa and acan.
Fish keeping it small but super keen on a Tigre blenny and coral goby.
Can't wait to see your results.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Got some Hawaiian black for the little fella today - looks much better now with it's bottom covered.
I grabbed a small patch of zoas from the main tank to see how they liked the conditions and the lighting.
Happy to say they opened up beautifully under the lights and seem more than happy - as am I.
This is turning out better than I thought it would. I'll steal a few more patches over the weekend to put in. :D

tank.jpg

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I wish I could get a decent shot of the tank under the blue lights, the zeo never looked better.
I'm really happy with that little light unit, especially for the price.
Can't wait to get some more in there.
I'll certainly be picking up small zoa varieties at my LFS visits from now on.