Pico Startup

Discussion in 'Nano Reef Tanks' started by daveH, Dec 18, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,226
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    Getting bored, so I thought I'd start a new project.
    I have a 9L AquaOne tank left from having a Betta (yep my lovely Half Moon Dragon died last month - he was old)
    So I thought I would start a pico zoa garden. I have a reasonable range of zoas in the Cade that are growing like wild fire, so I will take a couple from each group and try and grow a complete garden.
    I picked up a LED light off Fish Street for $30 - fits the budget and I was really surprised as to how good the build quality was - heaps of light. (Only took 6 days.)
    I'll look around for some neat pieces of rock and fire it up, probably go bare bottom (also with the tank).
    I was wondering if I should get the nano sized Aquaclear HOB power filter, but I think regular water changes should do the trick.
    Anyway, something for me to do :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Love It! Love It! x 1
  2. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,226
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    Found some rock.
    Have to pick up a really small circulation unit.

rock.jpg

The light is actually more even than that - it doesn't have that blue patch in the middle.

Might put some sand on the bottom - not all that impressed with nothing there.
    • Love It! Love It! x 2
  3. Azedenkae

Azedenkae Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Australia
    State:
    New South Wales
    That's an Aqualina!

They are actually very good lights, for the price. :p

Aqualina also do custom sizes and LEDs as well. I.e. you can choose your own colors/amount of LEDs and length and all that. At least that was what Brad (head of Aqualina) said last time we met anyways. Not sure if it changed.

Nice selection of rocks by the way. Will be cool to see all that eventually covered by Zoas.

That has always what I wanted to do - have corals eventually cover something, and perhaps eventually have layers after layers as one covers another.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,226
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    I've been busy.
    Picked up a HOB filter that seems to work nicely. Comes with some filter material but it has a couple of chambers to put various media in which is nice.
    Super quiet, and adjustable water flow that seems to create enough water movement through the tank to be efficient.
    Lucky I got a voucher for the LFS from my mate as a birthday present last week - this isn't costing me anything so far :).

filter.jpg

filter-2.jpg
    • Love It! Love It! x 1
  5. Wrangy

Wrangy Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,010
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    Can't wait to see all the colours of the rainbow in there Dave!! :D
    • Like Like x 1
  6. slin1977

slin1977 Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,119
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    Keep this updated- will look great as a zoo tank .
  7. leodb89

leodb89 Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +1,822
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
  8. Felicity goodall

Felicity goodall Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Australia
    State:
    Nsw
    Hey @daveH I just got the 32lt aqua medic from my LFS counter. Really happy. Used their sand (not sure if that was good idea or not) I just threw some rock in from my sump just to start the mini cycle (I hope mini).
    I'm looking at doing mainly zoa and acan.
    Fish keeping it small but super keen on a Tigre blenny and coral goby.
    Can't wait to see your results.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,226
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    Got some Hawaiian black for the little fella today - looks much better now with it's bottom covered.
    I grabbed a small patch of zoas from the main tank to see how they liked the conditions and the lighting.
    Happy to say they opened up beautifully under the lights and seem more than happy - as am I.
    This is turning out better than I thought it would. I'll steal a few more patches over the weekend to put in. :D

tank.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love It! Love It! x 1
  10. Wrangy

Wrangy Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,010
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
  11. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,226
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    I wish I could get a decent shot of the tank under the blue lights, the zeo never looked better.
    I'm really happy with that little light unit, especially for the price.
    Can't wait to get some more in there.
    I'll certainly be picking up small zoa varieties at my LFS visits from now on.
    • Like Like x 1