Tank Journal Archive

Str8edge

Mar 10, 2013
Shepparton
(planing Thread) Lighting Using Skylights Thoughts/help
I have been doing a lot of research on skylights thanks to everyone's links in an earlier post of mine.. so far I have found 2 different companies that make a super reflective straight tube to direct around 97% of the suns rays (solatube & Skydome) from what I can find there seems to be limited differences between the two I am yet to get into contact with any stores as I'm still a long way from getting prices together and still in the planning stage to see if its going to be a feasible option for the tank. Being in Shepparton we do get a lot of sunny days but during winter I'm still going to need supplement strong white lighting whether it be LED or MH and I really don't want to be checking the weather everyday and switching the supplement lighting on and when it comes to electronics I have no idea, so I'm calling all the tech savy reefuge members to give me some advice on a way to automate the supplement lighting to come on and off according to the light I'm receiving through the tubes like a photosensitive switch..

Str8edge

Mar 10, 2013
Shepparton
I'm sure there will be alot of trial and error keeps it interesting.. Here are the led bars I'm looking at using to bring the coral colour back instead of being just washed out with white light i have never used them or no anyone who has so I'm open to suggestions remember these LEDs are only visual more then beneficial to the inhabitants. http://www.aquarayusa.com/aquabeam-600ultima.html I'm thinking the fiji blue reef blue combo

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Not sure if it would be effective enough, but it would be simple enough to setup a device that can look at time (as you don't want it on at night) and either temp, light or forecast and switch on or off your supplemental lighting?

Sam

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Not sure if it would be effective enough, but it would be simple enough to setup a device that can look at time (as you don't want it on at night) and either temp, light or forecast and switch on or off your supplemental lighting?

Sam
sounds like a job for a ninja block and a light meter

Str8edge

Mar 10, 2013
Shepparton
Thanks for the input guys I will check out these ninja blocks and some light meters.. :) I remember reading SAMs post about them I will go back over it

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Is speak to a sparky mate, I'm sure there would be a more stand alone solution. Surely there is a light based switch that you could also run a 24 hour timer off to solve your scenario.

But you could do it other ways with added complexity and added features :)

Sam

Str8edge

Mar 10, 2013
Shepparton
The first option you mentioned is what I had I'm mind I will use the led smart solatubes which comes with an adjustable light sensor then run the light sensor on a timer to only come on during the time I require the high photoperiod then shut itself off..

Str8edge

Mar 10, 2013
Shepparton
The sola tubes may already have a feature like that otherwise people wouldn't install them in there house if the lights where on during the night when not required..

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Trick is to tee into the output to use proper reef lighting instead if energy saving sterile white mood lights :)

Str8edge

Mar 10, 2013
Shepparton
That also could be done depending on the led bulb fitting and something I will be looking into. The led bulbs they use are 4 x 3000k white bulbs so a total of a possible extra 12000 k per tube on top of what sunlight is already coming down the tube with it.. Would be interesting to put a spectrum par tester under them and test what comes out..

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Slight problem there, 4x 3000k lights still =3000k. K is the light color, 3000k is in the yellow region (same as most household lighting), where 12000k would be in the stark white heading towards blue region.

abrandonflint.com_blog_wp_content_uploads_kelvin_temp.jpg

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Slight problem there, 4x 3000k lights still =3000k. K is the light color, 3000k is in the yellow region (same as most household lighting), where 12000k would be in the stark white heading towards blue region.

View attachment 36984
Yes you're right in that you can't have an 'extra' 12000 kelvin, merely adds light spectrum colour. Adding extra bulbs would add intensity of light measurable in PAR like @Str8edge mentioned :)

Str8edge

Mar 10, 2013
Shepparton
Sorry you are correct it is the colour temperature not output of light I don't know what I was thinking.. :rofl I need to find what the out put of the lights are if the fittings allow it may be best to swap them out for marine bulbs depending on what the par readings are..

Last edited:

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I'm sure you could get a sparky to change the included 3000k lights to power points. Then you can add whatever marine lighting you like.

Str8edge

Mar 10, 2013
Shepparton
Ohh I get what your saying instead of running the LEDs in the tube that are provided rig up the light sensor to run like a par38 fitting where I can use say reef flares instead.. Thanks Sam I really like that idea