Reef Discussion

Cheeko

Aug 3, 2011
Brisbane
Please your opinion
Hey guys im going to be setting up marine tank soon just thought id see people opinions

I have 2 options
Use NSW and Additives if Needed
Use a Good Salt no NSW and not have to add so many addivties

Prob stupid question but would like to ask people what would they rather you Decent ASW or NSW

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
I use asw, no problems, but it is expencive unless you buy in big lots.
E.g I only grab a small bag 2kg at a time which is $50, but a big 10kg bag is only 110

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
if you dont have many corals to start with you wont need additives for the first two years (i know you) :D

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
I use ASW but dont hav an RO unit so hav been using NSW. I was wondering what I should be doing with the NSW in regards to unwanted/undesirable water contaminants?

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
If you collect NSW does it have to be used straight away? Say you had a 1000l IBC or collected multiple 25 ltr drums at once how quick would you have to use them? If you run an aerator in the big drum or a small powerhead with an air line would that keep it in usable condition?

Cheeko

Aug 3, 2011
Brisbane
Yeah ill Probably get a 1000ltr tank put it in Shed No light but ill Put a Air Rater and Power head is that needed if there's no light and sealed Sounds like a Plan and matt your right LOL

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
No need for the powerhead etc - just keep it out of the light and as airtight as possible. There might be a bit of die off, depending what was in the water, but nothing significant.

Puffy#79

Jan 2, 2012
Newcastle
I get 2000 litres at a time on the incoming high tide only. I bought a 60000 l/h fire fighters petrol pump and some hoses. Put a strainer on the end and dump it in the outlet to the pacific
Never had a drama. Always consistent in quality except sometime the sg is slightly higher if we have had no rain in a while. Pump cost me 330 on eBay 30 for hose 15 for strainer 3 ibcs at 100 each
So the best of $700 but I have it for 4 years now And it's still running strong.
It's easy taking totally round trip 1 hour and 5-10 mins dependant on traffic
25 mins out to site
10 mins to unload setup and fill 2 ibcs 2400 litres
25 mins home
10 mins to pack up.
Easy easy easy no mixing no stirring no waiting no continual testing till its right.
Cost To do a 200 ltr water change weekly like I do would be the best of $150 a month in salt
That makes the hobby to most very hard to finance. And only 6 months of salt to match my total out lay of my pumping equipment.
I don't do any thing to the water once it's in the tanks except pump it directly into tank when I water change. Temps in winter only need a heater that's it.
F**k asw the people who produce and sell it at that price should be ashamed and embarrassed to do it.

Puffy#79

Jan 2, 2012
Newcastle
Never. The only ever time I have seen them was when they where having maccas in the car park and one got out and asked where I got the pump from, he wanted to get one to drain his pool.
Apparently it's legal to take water. Trucks in Sydney fill up on the shore and take 50000 litres at a time.
I do it any time of the day and have I have no trouble.
When people ask what I'm doing I just say " letting the tide out mate"

Puffy#79

Jan 2, 2012
Newcastle
I think there was talk of a council in vic trying to implement that any one taking more than 1000 is classed as a Buissiness and needs to buy a permit but knocked on head as just a typical revenue raiser