Tank Journal Archive

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
Plumbed & Messing Around With Scape
Welp, I had a bit of a mission to get everything plumbed, I hodged, I podged and in the end it should all work.

Just need 2 Clams for one of the flexi hoses and we are good.

Just waiting for my NSW to be delivered this week

Removed the filter sock, going to try something in that space, not sure it will work but we will see.

Got my order of Real Reef Rock, playing around with it, not sure if I will mix it with some LR or just use LR in the sump to get the system up and going and avoid any hitch hikers in the main display.

One downside of the RRR is it is fairly brittle and breakable, bits go breaking off quiet easy.

Attachments

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Good to see you have it all up and ready for water. If I were you though, I'd probably delay the water another week or two and spend some more time on your plumbing. I'm sure it is functional, but with a sump that pretty I'd spend a little more time on the aesthetics of it. Tell me to get stuffed if you like (totally fair enough) but I reckon you can do better and it will be heaps easier now while it is all dry.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
I do want to make it more pretty, its just trying to connect a sump with bulk head not designed for the red sea pipe & with USA fittings, and with what I could get at bunnings has resulted in a mishmash

My other option is I just go flexi for the majority and forget the extra taps and PVC pipework and drop a small pump in for WC when I need it.

Also I am shit with the PVC glue, I just slap it on in the 38 degree heat and try connect stuff before it goes instantly hard!

Straight flexi hosing will look the neatest, but I also have to try and avoid kinks with sharp bends...

hmmm

Last edited:

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
Can you adapt the Red Sea pipe work? Flexible pipe rarely looks great.

I agree.

nothing on the bunnings floor in the plumbing isle is compatible.

diff thickness pipework, diameters, etc.

as you can see I have had to use oversized flexi sections to clamp and reduce to a smaller pipe.

like i said it might look neater to use the flexi to go from the weird fitting/pipe size to the weird fitting/bulk head.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Hmmm, looking online I see what you mean about the plumbing size. What a pain in the ass...

I guess you could run flexi hose inside a larger diameter pvc just for looks and to hold it in place?

Might be overkill, but with a sump and tank that nice it may be worth it?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
You can scrape the excess green glue off with a stanly blade.
The trick is to use clear glue , hehehe

Love the look of your sump :cum

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Personally I use the green glue. Good lather inside the larger fitting and stop about 5 mm short on the inner. Give it a twist and a turn as it goes in. You will end up with a nice green ring of about 1mm when you finished at the joint, confirming you have glue all the way up.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
@dimitri - where are the unions? You'll want some in there if you ever want to get it apart (I learnt the hard way). Spend the extra and get Double union ball valves. You can turn the valve off and remove the union to remove pipe work with minimal water loss.

Eg. How do you remove the return pump to clean/service?